Things I Learned Freshman Year at William & Mary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

With finals fast approaching, I thought it was time I reflect on my first year of college and the special characteristics of our beloved school. Happy studying!

1.     If you breathe on the third floor of Swem, you will get dirty looks.

2.     You will make friends if you go to Wawa from 11pm-1am Friday or Saturday.

3.     You will trip on the bricks. At least once a day, probably more.

4.     No need to buy a J Crew catalogue. Just sit in the Caf for an hour and you’ll see every article of clothing they sell.

5.     You should always wear cargo shorts. And your lanyard around your neck.

6.     The number of hours you spend in Swem is directly proportional to the number of friends you will make.

7.     “Pizza” is really just stale bread and old cheese (thanks Sadler).

8.      Just because the counter says Starbucks and sells Starbucks coffee does not mean it will take your Starbucks gift card.

9.     Writing your paper right before the deadline will always be better than when the assignment is given.

10.     It is impossible to have a conversation with someone in the business school without them telling you that they are in the business school.

11.     Don’t expect your hair to stay straight April-September. Thanks, humidity.

12.    It is totally normal to see someone in colonial attire on your way to class.

13.     Corn hole is a thing.

14.     Blowout is just a normal weekend at other colleges.

15.     It IS possible to serve the same thing every day for every meal.

16.     Don’t be near the Sunken Gardens between 1 and 3 am on the weekend unless you want to see naked people.

17.     Wawa coffee can fuel you through any all nighter.

18.     It is a good idea to have statues of every famous person who went here. But, that statue CANNOT be in front of the building the person is named after.

19.     Banner will inevitably crash at 7:01 on the day of registration. If you aren’t done registering by that time, it’s your fault.

20.     This is the only school in the country where you can leave your laptop unattended for hours and return to it. Not only will it still be there, there will be a nice note telling you to have a good day.

Jenna Davis is a sophomore at the College of William & Mary studying government and sarcasm.