Russo Recap: Oscar Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Image from Wikimedia Commons 

For the last two years, I have seen all of the nominees for Best Picture in anticipation of the Oscars. Seeing every movie is immersive, eye-opening, beautiful and on occasion, horrifying. It’s an emotional roller coaster, and to prepare, I like to read the “Critic Consensus” of each film on Rotten Tomatoes – a one line review of the film’s strengths and weaknesses, in order to get a feel for the movie without getting any real spoilers.

This year, I felt that some of the Critic Consensuses fell short in describing the real vibe of each movie, and as a result, have written my own short Russo Recaps of each.  

Dunkirk: If the temporal acrobatics in this film don’t make your head spin, the abject horror of survival just might. Best for movie goers with endurance and Harry Styles fans.

Darkest Hour: The second of two movies about Dunkirk this year. A film about a privileged politician who doesn’t listen and willfully misleads while making significant decisions for his nation seems woefully ill-timed.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: There are several critical conversations that we as an American society need to have both blatant and buried in this film, but I’m not sure that this film is how we should have any of them.

Phantom Thread: A portrait of a relationship almost too intimate to watch. Almost.

The Post: In this film, the quiet is what becomes most compelling. Best for Meryl Streep fans and crossword puzzle enthusiast types.

Call Me By Your Name: This film somehow simultaneously captures the feeling of being on a precipice yet feeling safer than you’ve ever been. Alternatively, any movie set in a peach orchard was going to have to be as sensual as this one.

Lady Bird: The best my experience as a high school drama kid has ever been understood. I saw myself in this movie, and it made me feel hopeful.

Get Out: A modern day horror film that channels both Frankenstein and myths of the American South in ways more sinister, socially critical, and striking than ever before.  

The Shape of Water: Amélie appears to be back and this time she falls in love with a fish man. Best for people into low key bestiality, toxic masculinity, and Soviet spies.

Without a doubt, I enjoyed seeing this year’s nominees and eagerly await the Oscars this weekend to see how it all plays out!

Thumbnail image from Wikimedia Commons 

Abby is a current senior at William & Mary majoring in English and minoring in French. She plans to attend law school after college. When she isn't in class, she can be found knitting, drinking coffee way too late at night and trying to play frisbee.
Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.