Remembering the Fallen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

On September 11th, 2001, the lives of American citizens changed forever. As the events of the day unfolded, many innocent lives were lost. It is the memory and the bravery of these people that live on within us. The children of the future will be taught of the heroic and patriotic United States that came together as a whole in the mourning of the courageous men and women who put their lives on the line to help save others. As a testament to their deeds, our country has built a memorial in New York where these people can be remembered. I personally was not able to visit the memorial this summer, however, I had a conversation with Felicia Wong, a student in the Class of 2017 at William and Mary, who had the opportunity to visit this summer.

Photos by Felicia Wong

What were your overall impressions of the 9/11 memorial and what is something about the memorial that stood out to you?

When I first came upon the memorial, I was expectant and a little nervous because I wasn’t entirely certain of the form it would take. But as I approached and looked down into this huge, square pit, I was overcome not only by its size but the messages the design conveyed. The names of the victims chiseled into the top could be touched and felt, which I think is very important…however what really struck me was the water falling down the sides into the pit, then churning at the bottom, and finally flowing into another opening in the center to be recycled back up to the top.

What emotions did the memorial bring for you?

There was a sense of helplessness in watching the water fall because it made me think of the towers and victims falling into nothingness. I am not one to cry in public, but I truly felt the weight of the meaning and of those lost in my heart. However, after sitting on the benches in the beautiful park area next to the memorial, I came to appreciate how water is representative of cleansing and resolution, and in being recycled in the memorial itself, it harkens hopes of rebirth and the continuous process of healing and strengthening begotten of such tragedy. The memorial is gorgeous, stately, and has different messages for everybody. The reverence with which it was beheld by all the spectators there was refreshing and is truly representative of the ability of the memorial to recreate the sense of support and togetherness around the world after 9/11.

Did you know anyone who died or was involved in 9/11/01?

No, but my dad was working at the Pentagon at that time. I don’t remember much aside from the house phones ringing constantly and really watching and trying to understand cable news for the first time.