This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Source

Whether it is fashion, writing, makeup, or art, you know you want to pursue a creative field. But how can you possibly find a cool job that meets your needs and your wants? In the end, you know you do not want to be stuck in a boring job where you are sitting in a not so stylish desk from 9-5. Or that you do not want to be caught working in one of those dreaded business suits that restrict your outfit to the colors black, white, and grey. You know what you want and you know what you do not want. So how do you get there? Here are some few tips that will help you get your foot in the door.

1. Ask for help

Ask people for what you want. Asking is powerful. It calls for you to take a proactive role in your life. If you never ask you have zero chances of getting help, but if you do ask you have a chance of receiving it. If someone says no, it’s okay–it may hurt a little but you will get over it. You will be surprised how many people will be willing to help you when you just ask.

2. Ask the right questions

There are so many opportunities out there however, you need to know which ones are for you and which ones are not. Sometimes you won’t even be aware of the opportunities around you. Ask you yourself ‘does my school offer___?’ and investigate. Once you find your answer, ask another question. You need to constantly think outside the box. Do things that are out of your comfort zone. This is the only way you are going to be able to create new questions and receive answers that will get you closer to where you want to be.

3. Talk to your professors

Talking to your professors seem like a chore at first but they can be helpful whether it is with giving you career advice or writing a recommendation. You do not have to be best friends with all your professors–just start off talking to one. Either one that teaches your favorite class or one that may have experience in the field you are interested in. Go to their office hours or set up a meeting with them. Tell them what you want to do, what your future goals are, and don’t forget to ask them questions about themselves and their work. Remember, you are not there to ask “what can the professor do for me?” but to establish a relationship with them. Not only will you get to know your professor more but you never know what information they can give you like a contact that may help you get closer to your dream job.

4. Talk to your friends (or anyone)

Tell you friends what you want to do. It may sound like common sense but not everyone tells their friends what they want to do with their life. You never know who your friend may know. They could help you get in contact with someone who can be crucial in your early stages of your career. Sometimes their parents may be able to lend a hand too. When you tell your friends what you want to do they will be an additional pair of eyes and ears on the lookout for an opportunity for you.

5. Talk to your career center

Don’t hesitate to start early. Some people wait until their junior or senior year to go to the career center for help. The earlier you go the better prepared you will be. Ask if they have someone who is an expert in creative fields. If not ask to meet with a counselor anyways. Again, you never know who they may know. They can put you in contact with someone who will be better suited to help you. They can also notify you about internship programs you may be interested in. The career center is there to help you–it’s their job. So go ASAP.

6. Reach out to people

Whenever you meet people tell them what you want to do. The more you tell others what you want to do the more likely you are to get advice or feedback. However, be wary of what others say. Yes, their feedback is important but it is not the end all be all. Take what they have to say as important but also take it with a grain of salt.

7. Research what programs are available

It is impossible for you to know everything that is out there. That is why you need to do research! So many opportunities are missed because we have not thought of checking out certain places. Look everywhere. Keep your eyes open. Look into studying abroad, doing an internship out of state or abroad, studying at another school for the summer, etc. There are so many opportunities you just need to keep doing your research.

8. Look for internship programs that may assist you

Sometimes there are programs that may assist you with finding an internship and a safe place to live. Look into what programs might be available within your field of preference by researching different associations. There are associations for almost every occupation out there. Tap into these resources because sometimes they offer cool programs and are usually more than happy to help you.

9. Look into local opportunities

There are some great opportunities in your own hometown or college town. You may not realize it but even that local boutique needs a marketing intern. Do your research online. Look into different places around you. Not only will this save money but also be a great jumping off point for future internships. Often local internships are less competitive than ones in big cities. 

10. Check other people’s profile and see how they got there

Investigate! Look at other people’s profile in linkedIn. Look at what school they went and what internships they took while they were an undergraduate. You will be surprised to see there is no one direct path. Some people may have studied psychology in college but ended up an editor for a magazine. This allows you to see what are important skills and experiences you should consider developing.

11. Cold call/e-mail professionals

Look for other professionals on LinkedIn who you would like to know. Try to find their email either on LinkedIn or through a quick google search on their name. Start off by saying hi and that would like to get to know about their job. Ask them about what a day on the job looks like and what they most love about it. You might get some quick responses but most likely it will take them a maximum of a month to get back to you. However, these people have great information that can definitely help you steer you the right direction towards your goal. Make sure to continue the conversation. Email them every two months or so. You want to form a relationship with them. If a spot opens up in their company they could give you the heads up and you will be more likely to get the job/internship because they know you better than the other applicants.

12. Go to events and network

Go to as many speaking events or conferences at your school. Even attend some that may not exactly align with your creative career. You never know who the speaker may know. I once was at an event in which the speaker was trying to advertise a program that encourages women to get involve in government. I told her about my goal to become a creative director for a fashion magazine and she told me she could get me in touch with DC’s Glamour editor. If I had not told her my goal she would have never offered to help me.

13. Look for clubs that will help you develop your skill

There are to be hundreds of clubs offered at school. One way to navigate through the array of choices is by choosing ones that pique your interest and can help you develop your skills. If you are interested in journalism work for your school’s newspaper.

14. Develop your skill on your own time

Sometimes your school does not offer classes for skills you want to build. This calls on you to take your own initiative. Even though learning a new skill can be hard you need to push yourself. Learning programs like Photoshop and Illustrator can be daunting but there are millions of videos out there to help you (thank you internet!). You can go to your school’s media center (in the library) and ask if they have someone who can help you. Also if you plan on developing a new skill but don’t have the money to buy the equipment ask for a loan from the library. They usually have cameras and programs downloaded in their computers so you don’t have to pay anything out of pocket. Who knew the library had more than just books?

15. Lynda.com

This site is amazing! Some schools already have a subscription to it so it is free for student use. The site offers millions of videos on how to develop skills whether it be excel or how to photograph professional photos.  

16. Constantly check internship sites like Mediabsitro.com and Ed210.com

Often times it is hard to find creative internships on general internship websites however, there are sites that were directly curator for creatives in mind. Try websites like Mediabsitro.com and Ed210.com. They post great internship and job opportunities offered by some of your favorite magazines. 

17. Research what companies are looking for and develop those skills

If you know where you want to work at after graduation look at current job postings they have and check out the qualifications section. Check off the skills you have and notice the ones you still need to develop. This will guide in what you still need to learn in the time between now and graduation. It may mean you need to take a class next semester or learn a new skill on your own time. Whatever it is just know it will take time and effort but it will pay off in the long run.

18. Offer your talent for free to others

If you interested in building and practicing a skill consider offering your service for free. If you are interested in photography offer to take photos of club events for free. This will allow you to build a portfolio and network with people out of your general interests.

19. Take a summer class

Sometimes the skill you want to learn is not offered as a class at your school or you do not have room in your schedule. Consider taking a summer class at a community college. Not only will it be cheap but you will also not have to worry about you other classes while you are trying to build your skill.