NHL Playoffs Update—April 22

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Well, the playoffs started about one week ago, and three series have already wrapped up! While we still have plenty up playoff hockey to go, here are some highlights from the first week of action.

**Note: This update is current as of ­April 22 at 8 AM.

• The Anaheim Ducks secure the first spot in the second round.

The Anaheim Ducks beat the Calgary Flames in four games to secure a spot in the Pacific Division Finals. They outscored the Flames 14-9 in the four game series. They will play the winner of the series between the San Jose Sharks and Edmonton Oilers.

• The Nashville Predators sweep the Chicago Blackhawks.

This was the news that shocked hockey fans everywhere. The Nashville Predators swept (they won four games in a row to win the series) the Chicago Blackhawks on the 20th. This comes as a shock as the Blackhawks were a team heavily favored to make it to the Cup Final this year. During the series, the Blackhawks only scored three goals, which was surprising given the offensive talent they possess. The Nashville Predators, lead by a strong performance by goalie Pekka Rinne, will play the winner of the Minnesota Wild/St. Louis Blues series in the Central Division Final.

• The Pittsburgh Penguins defeat the Columbus Blue Jackets in five games.

The Pens won the first three games of the series, including an exciting Game 3 in Columbus with young Pens forward Jake Guentzel scoring a hat trick (three goals in one game). After Columbus won Game 4, the Pens were able to seal the deal at home in Pittsburgh on Thursday night. They will play the winner of the Washington Capitals/Toronto Maple Leafs series in the Metropolitan Division Final.

• There has been lots of bonus hockey!!!!

Many games have been going into overtime, including all four games played on Monday the 17th. This has only happened two times before, the last time being April 10, 1985. But what we should be asking ourselves is, “Is this really a bad thing?” Sure, it can be stressful when your team is the one playing two overtime periods. But who’s going to complain about extra playoff hockey!?!?!?!?

• In non-playoffs related NHL news, the Vegas Golden Knights will hold their expansion draft on June 21.

Next season, the NHL will add a 31st franchise, the Vegas Golden Knights. To ensure that they have a fair chance at a competitive season, an expansion draft will occur. What this means is that the Golden Knights will select one player from each of the current NHL teams to become a Golden Knight. Current teams have a certain number of players that they can protect from being drafted, but nonetheless, this is a stressful and exciting occasion for all hockey fans. The Expansion Draft will air on NBCSN on June 21st as part of the NHL Awards.

• What to look for in the coming week:
    • Some Game 7s—maybe: Boston staved off elimination last night, and will be returning to home ice to try and force a Game 7. The Leafs will be doing the same thing in Toronto.
    • Players returning from injury: Key Players who have sat out the playoffs so far may be rejoining their teams late in the first round, or possibly the second round.
    • The Start of the Second Round: Bring on Divisional Finals!!!

Image Source

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.