Mental Health Awareness Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Every year during the first week of October, the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) sponsors Mental Health Awareness Week, which aims to promote conversations about mental health in our communities. This year, Mental Health Awareness Week falls from October 4 – 10 and we here at herCampus want to keep the conversation going on our college campuses.

Some important statistics about mental health:

·      1 in 5 Americans have experienced a mental illness at some point in their life

·      One half of all chronic mental illness begins by age 14; three-quarters by age 24

·      Women are twice as likely to experience depression as men

·      The average delay between onset of mental health symptoms and treatment is 8-10 years

·      Mental health conditions are the leading cause of disability worldwide

This year, NAMI performed a comprehensive study of mental health in 765 college students. Some of the results they found included:

·      73% of students surveyed had experienced a mental health crisis while in college

·      50% of college students have not received treatment for their mental health condition.

·      57% of students did not access accommodations for their mental health conditions

The biggest section of the paper was dedicated to the issue of stigma on campus, both with students and within the administration. In fact, the study found that stigma is considered the number one barrier to students seeking help for their conditions. As one survey respondent said, “I was concerned that the information would become part of a permanent record that could be viewed negatively. I still feel that there is a lot of stigma and the benefits of disclosing do not outweigh the risks.”

In response, NAMI has created the #IamStigmaFree campaign, which aims to de-stigmatize the conversation around mental health. Using the hashtag #IamStigmaFree, people from around the world can share their stories of mental illness and encourage the conversation aound mental health without fear of judgment or stigma.

What You Can Do to Stop the Stigma

·      Encourage those struggling with mental health issues to reach out, whether it be to friends or a professional

·      Do not try to label or put down others for their experiences. Mental health is different for every person.

·      Be supportive of those receiving treatment. Mental health is just as much of a medical condition as other physical health conditions 

For more information on mental health or to learn more about the #IamStigmaFree campaign, check at the National Alliance on Mental Illness’ website at www.nami.org or call the NAMI hotline at 1-800-950-6264.

Sources

·      College students speak: A survey report on mental health (National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), Comp.). (2012). Arlington, VA: NAMI.

·      National Alliance for Mental Illness (NAMI)

·      National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)

Psychology and Marketing major, accidental sorority girl at William and Mary. I love dressing fancy, eating, and sleeping, and hope to make a career out of all three of those things.