Looking to feel cultured this weekend? William & Mary Global Film Festival 2012: Film & the City is going on NOW!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

As mid-terms begin to rear their ugly head this week, why not get out from amongst the dusty shelves of Swem and head over to the historic Kimball Theatre in CW for a well-deserved study break.  Take in some culture from the likes of W&M’s 5th Annual Global Film Festival by watching some films that might not be your usual popcorn fare when going to the movies but are sure to still pique your interest.  Not sure exactly what to see amidst the overwhelming amount of fantastic films offered this weekend?  Don’t sweat it, here’s an abridged version of the films you should catch at this great event.

Friday 17th:
6:30pm Following (1998):  Can’t wait until the summer for when The Dark Knight Rises is finally released?  Why not satisfy your Christopher Nolan craving with his first feature film? Following has a short run time at a little over an hour and explores the topic of voyeurism.  Filmed in the style of film noir, this black and white psychological thriller sucks you in as a writer indulges in the most peculiar hobby of following and filming strangers amidst the streets of London.  This hobby soon turns into an obsession as he breaks his own rule of never following the same person twice…
11:00pm  Once (2006):  This charming little film was a Sundance sweetheart and a triumph for independent films everywhere.  It’s a tale of two musicians who meet in happenstance and fall in love in the equally charming city of Dublin.  This film is true to the small nuances of falling in love and in its everyday ordinariness this small love story shines through making it seem extraordinary.  Plus the music in this movie is amazing, after first seeing this film in 2006 the soundtrack has held a special place on my iPod. Do yourself a favor and see this film!

Saturday 18th:
11:00am  City Lights(1931):  So it’s safe to say that you probably know who Charlie Chaplin is: bowler hat, cane, mischievous adventures, slapstick, and a tiny mustache (Chaplin did it first Hitler!).  But have you actually ever seen one of his many brilliant films that have been entertaining the masses for decades? Well now’s your chance!  Watch Chaplin in his iconic Little Tramp role as he tries to woo a blind flower girl and consequently humorous circumstances occur. 
4:30pm  Chico & Rita (2010):  This animated feature has received glowing reviews and if you’re wondering why Cars 2 didn’t receive a Best Animated Feature Oscar nomination this year it’s because this little gem has taken its spot.  Come see what the buzz is about in this interestingly hand-drawn flick which spans the history of Jazz along with a story of love and heartbreak.

Sunday 19th: 
12:00pmMosquita Y Mari (2011):  A classic coming of age tale of two Chicana girls growing up in Los Angeles.  It is a very intimate and heartfelt look at the lives of two teenage girls at the confusing age of 15, getting through it all with their love and friendship for one another.  The film premiered at this year’s Sundance Film Festival and now it’s being brought to Williamsburg! Don’t miss out on this movie or the chance to meet the director, Aurora Guerrero, for an exclusive Q&A session afterwards!

There are plenty more films to see this weekend and this small selection of films are just a small taste for what’s available to see. Head over to http://filmfestival.wm.edu/programming-2/festival-schedule/to check out the full schedule.  So for all you budding film buffs or for those of you who just want to get out and see some fabulous films, please go and support this one-weekend-only event! 

I'm a fashion-obsessed Business major at William and Mary.   I'm currently studying abroad at the London College of Fashion!  I am the President of HC W&M!  I love the ocean, working out, and extreme couponing.  This summer I interned with Marie Claire in NYC-- my dream internship!   Get to know me more on my fashion/style blog, "All Dolled Up"--->  www.dylanmaureen.blogspot.com