Is La La Land Worth the Hype?: A Spoiler Free Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Unless you have been living under a rock for the past two months, you have probably heard of the original movie musical La La Land. The film, starring Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, won a record breaking 7 Golden Globes, at the ceremony earlier this month, and just this week was nominated for 14 Academy Awards, tying Titanic and All About Eve as the most nominated film of all time. The musical seems to have split critics, with some viewing it as a new age for the movie musical and others struggling to see what all of the fuss is about. And while various elements, such as the story, singing, and choreography are being hotly debated, all I have to say is that I LOVED it.

Now to be fair, I am pretty biased. I am a fan of both Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling’s work and there is nothing I love more in this world than a musical, but there was just something about this film that sets it apart from the rest of the crowd. The plot is relatively simple to follow yet never boring—a struggling actress and musician find love and follow their dreams in Hollywood. Somehow, this plot, which you think you have seen before, manages to be fresh and engaging. Stone and Gosling bring a certain sensitivity to the roles, which makes you root for them throughout. They have great chemistry, illustrated by both the emotional and humorous moments in the film. While some have commented on their lackluster singing and dancing skills, I think the imperfections lend to idea that these are real people who are struggling–people you want to root for–as opposed to some mega stars. The music—both songs and instrumental pieces—are beautiful and catchy. I have honestly only been listening to the soundtrack since I saw the film last Saturday.

The technical elements of this film are a force to be reckoned with as well. Director Damien Chazelle shot the film in cinemascope, just like the traditional Hollywood musicals. The result is breathtaking. Long takes and sweeping camera shots provide a feel of glamour. I would argue that the main reason to see this film in theaters (other than to simply see a great film) is to see it on the big screen in all of its glory. The set design and costumes are incredible. They offer color, as well as a salute to old school musicals, such as Singin’ in the Rain and An American in Paris. Additionally, after the film, I wanted all of Emma Stone’s costumes to make their way into my closet!

While you may not love this film as much as I do, it’s definitely a fine piece of cinema worth checking out. I don’t know if it will break records at the Academy Awards on February 26, but I believe it will take home at least a few awards, including Best Picture. Check out this film while you can!

Thumbnail Source

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.