Keeping Love Alive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

High school relationships where you celebrate your “month-aversary” are fun and great, but college relationships are entirely different and are often much longer lasting. These new, more serious relationships can seem a little too serious sometimes, and it can be hard to maintain the spark after a a year or so. Try these different ways to spice up your drab days and reignite that spark with the one you love!

1. Explore somewhere new

Whether it is a new museum, a hike in a park you’ve never visited, or just wandering around in a nearby city, experiencing something new together is special. Being somewhere you’ve never been presents lots of excitement, and sometimes even some confusion which can be fun to figure out together e.g. getting lost in the middle of central park–guilty! A whole new set of sights and smells can be a whirlwind and will make you feel like you are experiencing a whole new part of your relationship!

2. Go on a “first date”

My boyfriend and I began dating in high school, so we did not really have a first date. So for fun,  we like to pretend to go on a first date every once in a while. It’s fun to ask each other questions that may seem trivial, but might ultimately spark other fun conversation topics. It’s also fun to be in that mindset of a first date where you have anxious butterflies which can turn into flirting. Yes, you may have been together a while, but it’s still great to date!

3. Do little “somethings” for one another

When you have parents who have been married over 30 years, you pick up a few tricks as to how to keep the love strong. It never hurts to go out of your way to do a little extra something for your significant other. Whether it be a sweet card “just because” or a couple flowers picked out of a garden, little things can make the biggest difference. A lasting love takes continuous effort, and doing a little something extra for your significant other can have such a positive impact on your relationship.

Lasting love is truly special, but sometimes it can be difficult to keep that ever-elusive “spark” alive. Making the effort to keep things special always makes for a stronger, healthier, happier relationship. Try out these few ideas to keep your long time love alive!
Born and raised in Southern California. Loving the East Coast.