books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

I Like Big Books and I Cannot Lie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

As an avid reader, I love to read all types of books, and nothing is more satisfying than finishing a long book. It might take a long time, and you might put it down and pick it back up a couple of times, but nothing beats the sense of accomplishment you feel when you finish the book and look at the 800+ amazing pages that you just read.  With the semester winding down, now is the perfect time to pick up a big book. Reading a long book can help you relax as you navigate finals or a great way to chill during break. Here are some of my recommendations.

If you’re in the mood for a classic…try Gone with the Wind

Source

Gone with the Wind is a classic film and book! If you’ve always loved the film, but never finished the book for your high school English class, now could be the perfect time to check out the book. And who knows, maybe Scarlett’s strength will inspire you to stay strong as finals approach!

If you’re in the mood for a throwback…try Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Source

Odds are the Harry Potter series is a favorite for many people on the William and Mary campus. Even if you’ve read this one a million and one times, you can still find something new, especially if you are reading it at a new period in your life. Alternatively, you can make things interesting and make a bet with your friends to see who can read this 896-page volume the quickest.

If you’re in the mood for a buzzed about title…try The Goldfinch

Source

When The Goldfinch was published it almost instantly received acclaim and even won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction. That being said many bibliophiles who read this are very conflicted. Some love it. Some hate it. Some (aka me) haven’t been able to make it through (but I will, one day!). Pick this one up, stick it out, and join the debate.

If you’re in the mood to learn something…try The Emperor of All Maladies or The Gene

Source

These two books are personal favorites of mine. Emperor focuses on the history of cancer, while The Gene focuses on the history of the gene and the field of genetics. While the scientific aspect (and hefty page count) may seem intimidating, these books are the perfect introduction to popular science writing. Author Siddhartha Mukherjee perfectly blends elements of science, history, and humanity. He keeps the science accurate, but simple, so you don’t have to have a degree in biology to understand, and writes in a beautiful narrative style that makes you almost feel as though you were reading a novel. I highly recommend both of these books!

If you’re in the mood to read the hottest title around…try Alexander Hamilton

Source

I really don’t need to say much about this one. Ron Chernow’s biography is the inspiration behind the hit Broadway musical Hamilton. If you can’t get to NYC to check out the show, give the biography a try. I’m currently reading this one and it’s fun to give updates on how far you are by using the song titles! For example, I’m currently at “Helpless.” Go on. Give it a try. It really is fun!

If you want to commit to a series for a LONG time…try A Song of Ice and Fire (aka the Game of Thrones Series)

Source

If you are looking for some books to occupy you for the next year, check out the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. You could probably read all five books AND watch all six (soon to be seven) seasons of the TV show and still be done before Martin finishes The Winds of Winter.

If you want to read something experimental…try House of Leaves

Source

House of Leaves is not your typical book, as it has multiple stories going on throughout, and it makes use of an interesting structure with text upside-down and backwards, footnotes all over the place, and different fonts and colors. If you want to read something totally different from what you typically read, this book sounds like a good choice.

If you want to read a modern classic…try The Stand

Source

Stephen King is known as the master of horror, and The Stand is considered one of his greatest works. The novel follows a band of survivors in a post-apocalyptic society and besides having a great plot, contains multitudes of symbolism, making this a great novel to discuss with your favorite English professor. King’s original edition of the novel was about 800 pages, but if you want a challenge, read the uncut version, which clocks in around 1200 pages! Also, if post-apocalyptic societies aren’t your jam, King has written plenty of other big books that could suit your fancy.

If you want to impress your friends…try War and Peace

Source

If you really want to impress anyone you ever meet, read Tolstoy’s War and Peace. This tome can seem incredibly intimidating with all the Russian history, political commentary, and straight up confusing Russian naming system, but if you plow through it, you are rewarded with a simply beautiful story (and a huge sense of accomplishment). When you finish the book, you can reward yourself by watching one of the numerous stage and screen adaptations!

Honestly, while reading long books can be fun, reading any book is a great thing to do. Reading is a great way to relax, learn something new, or travel to a far off place on a college student’s budget. So whether it’s a Pretty Little Liars novel or War and Peace any book is a great choice!

Image Source

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.