How to Not Stress Out About Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Whether in a long-term, committed relationship, newly experiencing the company of a significant other, or happily single, Valentine’s Day seems to be universally dreaded by all. But I say why not make the most of Valentine’s Day – no matter your relationship status? It’s still a holiday so go out and treat yourself! Here is a step-by-step guide to prepare for the day of love:

1. Go out to see a movie with your friends.

Image from Giphy

• Whether your in a relationship or not, spending time with your friends is a good reminder that you can have fun with those you love even if you’re not romantically involved with them.
  • Fifty Shades Freed (if you’re feeling a bit risqué ), The Notebook (always good to pull on the heart strings), or Dirty Dancing (for a little more light-hearted night).

2. Learn to appreciate your significant other.

​Image from Giphy

• Before Valentines day actually rolls around, spend time with that person you plan on being with on Vday. This will give you a chance to get to talk about the day, plan a spicy adventure, or come to an agreement about what the day actually means to both of you. Remember: tell them how you feel! If you want a surprise, tell them! If you want to do all the planning, go for it! (Never in the book of Valentine’s Day rules does there say the boyfriend has to buy the roses or the girlfriend have to wear some sexy lingerie.)

3. Decorate!

​Image from Giphy

• Though I, like many others, can see how cliché Valentine’s Day can get, take advantage of the commercialized holiday to do a craft, eat some chocolate, or buy some sexy panties. Whether just for yourself or for yourself and another, I guarantee you will strut a little taller with some matching underwear while coloring a paper heart.
  • Heart-shaped twinkle lights, heart-shaped chocolate candies, or a painted mason jar for your red and pink flowers.

4. Give gifts.

Image from The Dating Divas

• Celebrate the holiday with those around you by showing how much you appreciate their love and affection. It will make you feel good to see those you love smile a little brighter because of your thoughtful gift.
  • To your friends: Satin robes, red mugs, plants, fuzzy slippers, or a pretty journal.
  • To your Valentine: Candles, soft blankets, a couples cooking class, panties (or boxers because guys like getting underwear from you too!), or open when cards.

No matter who you choose to spend Valentine’s Day with, it doesn’t have to be stressful. You can make the most of the day by enjoying your loved-one(s) and their company in a casual setting or an elaborately planned outing.

Thumbnail Image from Pixabay

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.