The Good, The Bad, The Ugly: Spring at W&M

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

The Good –

Nice Weather            The weather in Williamsburg is known for having dramatic changes from hot to cold temperatures, sunny to rainy days, and sporadic appearances of unexpected snow storms. Now that it’s springtime, days in the ‘Burg mean tanning outside on the Sunken Garden, canoeing at Lake Matoaka, taking strolls down Dog Street, and hanging out on the Terrace. Whenever the temperature surpasses the eighties you can expect to see a massive influx of sundresses around campus. The entire atmosphere transforms into a good-feel vibe in which students are smiling and enjoying themselves. Everyone seems to be cheerful and stress free, even with the dreadful entrance into finals.

Blowout            The last day of classes is known throughout campus as “blowout” – a day in which students celebrate the end of the school year together. For some, it means waking up early to drink, attending class tipsy, seeing everyone you know at the Sunken Garden, ending up at an over-filled party, and falling asleep by 5pm. For others, it means soberly enjoying the many events run by various organizations, such as festivities presented by AMP or a campus-wide picnic provided by W&M Dining Services and Student Affairs. Regardless of which path you take, blowout is by far one of the most fun-filled days of the year and definitely a treat that every student deserves before finals. 

The Bad –

“April Showers Bring May Flowers”           When applied to Williamsburg, this saying has never been more true. Williamsburg is one of those places where constantly wearing a rain coat is not judged as paranoia, but instead is just seen as a respectable pre-cautionary measure. If your umbrella breaks, go replace it ASAP. If you don’t have rain boots, go get a pair ASAP. I kid you not, it’s not uncommon for it to rain for days straight. On rainy days give yourself a few extra minutes to get to class because you’ll surely encounter large puddles blocking your usual path and hoards of umbrellas that slow down traffic. On the bright side, all of that rain will make our campus look all the more beautiful when the flowers bloom!

Allergy Season            If you have a bad case of pollen allergies, be warned. This campus is notorious for immense amounts of pollen from the wide variety of trees found on our grounds. At its worst, pollen season in Williamsburg means constant car washes, thick coatings on anything sitting still for more than ten minutes, and clouds of pollen filling the air. Stock up on your anti-histamines and inhalers because Williamsburg pollen levels can be brutal.

The Ugly

Final Exams            It’s that time of year again – finals. We’ve made it through another year of college filled with intensive courses, rigorous assignments, and sleepless nights. If you though that was bad, just wait for finals. There are two ways to look at the upcoming weeks: (1) “Good thing I kept up with all the readings and feel comfortable about my exam/paper” or (2) “Wow, I should have taken this class more seriously. This is hopeless.” No matter what, keep pushing forward and never give up. Space your time out based on priorities and try your hardest not to procrastinate. Have a friend change your Facebook password or whatever else it takes to keep yourself focused. When the stress seems like too much to handle, try to give yourself breaks every now and then to enjoy an hour or two in CW, watch an episode of your favorite tv show, or try out one of the many free fitness classes being offered during finals. Good luck!

Harper is a junior at the College of William and Mary, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Marketing. A DC-Area native, she serves as Co-President at Her Campus William and Mary. She spends her summers interning in Marketing. This past summer was spent in New York City working at OppenheimerFunds as a Digital Strategy Intern, and the year before at Gannett working as a Marketing and Promotions Intern in the Social Commerce Division. She hopes to slowly accomplish a few things on her list of ridiculous dreams including hugging a walrus and voicing a named Disney character in a movie.Blog || LinkedIn || Twitter