Cute Ideas For Couples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Getting bored of your everyday routine with your special someone? Tired of breakfast here, lunch there, going to class, meeting at Swem, dinner at the same place again and then bed? Looking to try something new? Who says you have to wait until Valentine’s Day to plan a cute date or give a romantic gift. Here are some ideas that you can try out to keep things fun and spontaneous!

Make a Personalized CD
Have you ever been listening to a song and the lyrics make you think of him? Or maybe that certain song was playing during your first dance, kiss or any other special moment. Make a playlist of all of those songs and burn them onto a CD. If you want to go a little further, add a note with the CD that explains why you chose each song. This easy and creative gift will let him know that he’s always on your mind, even when you’re not together.

Surprise Picnic
Now that the weather is looking up, take advantage of a nice day by planning a picnic. The key to this is that only you know of these plans. Make it a surprise for your special someone. Here’s an idea: I drag my boyfriend out of bed every morning to go running together before classes start. One day I decided to surprise him with a picnic on the docks at Lake Matoaka.  Prior to waking him up for the run, I made breakfast for the two of us and headed over to Matoaka to set up a blanket with plates, utensils and of course, our meal. When we went on our run he had no idea what I had planned, so he was surprised when he saw what was waiting for us at our final destination. It was easy to pull off and a fun experience we shared together.

Movie Night
Having a movie night is possibly one of the easiest date ideas, but here’s a twist to it: Have it in an academic building! Not only are they great study locations, but their lecture halls have huge projector screens that are perfect for movies. The trick is to find a building that isn’t locked. Most academic buildings will be locked by 10 pm (I‘ve learned this the hard way…), however, some have side doors that are open. Sneak into the building of your choice with your cutie and set up the projector screen to play your movie. If you can, move the desks to the side and set up a cozy area of blankets and pillows. Also don’t forget tons of popcorn, soda and candy!

I-O-U Packet
Don’t have the money to shower your special someone with expensive gifts? Here’s a simple and inexpensive solution: an I-O-U packet. Each card will have different things you can give him. The rule is that he presents the card whenever he wants to get his “gift”. What you write is up to you! They could be simple little gestures (“A Kiss On The Cheek” or “ A Hug”), date ideas (“Trip to BerryBody” or “Picnic on the Sunken Gardens”), or things you know they’d enjoy yet you wouldn’t normally do on a regular basis (“A Back Massage” or “Clean Your Room”). Wanna heat things up? Turn your I-O-U gift into a booklet of sexual tasks the two of you can try out together. For inspiration, check out Cosmopolitan’s blogs such as “Bedroom Blog” or “31 Days of Hot Sex”.

Student Happenings
Take advantage of the weekly Student Happenings emails sent out! They are filled with upcoming events that you can enjoy with your special someone. There are constantly plays and concerts going on around campus. My personal favorites are the jazz ensemble concerts in Lodge One. The music is always loud and lively. There’s dancing too! The Swing Club is known for making an appearance and dancing along with the music.

Make Dinner Together
Don’t have the money to go out to a fancy restaurant? Here’s the solution: make dinner together! Look up recipe ideas online and try to aim for something either you both like or want to try out. Make sure it’s not too complicated and has ingredients that are inexpensive and easy to find. Once you have your recipe, head over to Food Lion (either a 20 minute walk or bus ride away) and pick up your ingredients. Sometimes, the grocery shopping alone is the most enjoyable part of the date. The last step is obviously to cook the meal together and have fun!

Love Letter
Ever wish your special someone would write you letters every day like in The Notebook or that you could write back and forth like in Dear John? How about writing a love letter and sending it to your special someone’s CSU box! It’s a cute surprise that they’ll love. Not an expert at writing love letters? Here are some ideas: Write about a date the two of you just went on and fill him in on what you thought about. Write about your favorite memories together. Write the classic love poem. Write a list of all the things you love about him and watch as the list goes on and on! 

I'm a fashion-obsessed Business major at William and Mary.   I'm currently studying abroad at the London College of Fashion!  I am the President of HC W&M!  I love the ocean, working out, and extreme couponing.  This summer I interned with Marie Claire in NYC-- my dream internship!   Get to know me more on my fashion/style blog, "All Dolled Up"--->  www.dylanmaureen.blogspot.com