Campus Celebrity: Hayley Snowden, ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Name:

Hayley Snowden

Year:

Class of 2019

Hometown:

McLean, VA

Major(s):

Marketing major/Japanese minor

Activities on Campus:

• Tutor at the Writing Resources Center 
  • AMP Films Committee member 
  • Small group leader with Reformed University Fellowship
  • AKPsi Pledge Class President

Describe Yourself in Three Words:  

Ditzy, Sweet, Memelord

Go-To Starbucks Order:

I’m pretty sure my blood content is 65% ice chai latte at this point

Favorite Book:

A Man Called Ove

Favorite Movie:

Ben-Hur (the old one, not the 2016 Remake-Which-Must-Not-Be-Named)

Hobbies:

• Creative writing
  • Bagpiping
  • Pretending I could be on the Great British Bake Off whenever I don’t burn toast

Career Goals:

To do some kind of international marketing job for a globally-minded company, but write the next great American novel on the side.

What is one thing on your bucket list?

To see BTS in concert.

What is one thing people would be surprised to learn about you?

I am deathly afraid of giant squid, which I will thankfully probably not encounter in Williamsburg.

Describe your perfect day in Williamsburg:

It would definitely involve waking up early before the rest of the campus, right when fall is beginning to creep in, and do some people-watching in CW while sipping a (*insert shocked gasp*) chai latte.

What is your favorite part about being a member of AMP?

Every movie event feels like one giant sleepover with the campus. Films are a great way to feel connected to the stranger sitting next to you and get to know new people, and campus movie events are no different!

What is your favorite AMP memory?

Probably getting to work the cotton candy machine (while simultaneously avoiding third-degree butter burns from the popcorn) at Screen on the Green last year.

What is your favorite thing about William and Mary?

I really think this is the highest concentration of intelligent, quirky individuals on the East Coast. I love that people feel comfortable being their weird, authentic selves here, and that we’re all encouraged to take a look at things from all different perspectives.

What is one piece of advice you have for freshmen (or anyone)?

When I came to WM to interview as a prospective student, my interviewer told me that when you’re faced with the choice of doing that last-minute assignment or staying up late and having a deep conversation, always pick the latter, because those are the moments you’ll remember about college. He couldn’t have been more spot on with that advice. We can run all around all day stressing about getting that 110% on our next essay, but it’s pouring into and caring for other people that will really bring you fulfillment, lasting friendships, and fond memories of college.

If you were President of the College for a day, what would you do?

Serve the B-school’s catering in all the dining halls.

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.