Campus Celebrity: Amanda Olsen ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Name: Amanda Olsen

Class: Sophomore

Hometown: Baltimore, Maryland

Major: Psychology

Activities you participate in on campus: Residence Life, Nu Kappa Epsilon, Health Outreach Peer Educators, Campus Buddies, The Haven

What are your roles in your activities? Resident Assistant in Monroe, President of NKE, Outreach Chair and member of the Sexual Health Branch in HOPE, Volunteer with Campus Buddies for Buddy Art and Buddy Ball, Volunteer at the Haven

What drew you to the activities you participate in?  My passion for people and seeing others happy and thriving is what drew me to many of my extracurriculars.  HOPE and volunteering with the Haven are both perfect combinations of my passion for psychology and public health, while allowing me to connect with others on an individual level.  Nu Kappa Epsilon has been an incredible outlet for my love of music and has allowed me to befriend amazing women who share my interests and enthusiasm for Disney.

Why should someone join those activities?  Being an RA is a wonderful opportunity to give back to the William and Mary community and make a change in the lives of residents.  HOPE and the Haven are both resources on campus that help make students a little happier and healthier, acting as a part of the support systems of many.  Campus Buddies is a wonderful organization that gives back to the Williamsburg community at large, allowing college students to work with younger children and some adults with various physical and mental disabilities, teaching volunteers a lot about neurodiversity and just how similar we all are.  NKE is a non-panhellenic sorority, which provides a community for women who love music to come together and celebrate the joys of life with one another.

What is your favorite W&M memory?  My first snow day freshman year, my three closest friends from my hall and I went outside early in the day, before most of the snow was touched.  We had a big snowball fight in the Sunken Gardens and made snow angels.  It was just one of the moments of pure joy that sticks with you.

Favorite thing to do on campus?  Nap in the Sunken Gardens when it is sunny and warm out in the spring

If you could improve one thing about the College or the Williamsburg community, what would it be and why?  This is more of an everybody thing, but especially on campus, I wish that everyone would be more honest and vulnerable with one another.  I think a lot of our problems as a community stem from an inability to have open dialogues about issues, or a fear of judgment.  If everyone were vulnerable with one another, those who are often afraid to reach out for extra help would be able to do so without fear, whether that be for help with suicidal ideation, STI information, or an extension on a paper.

What do you plan on doing after graduation?  I am hoping to be a community psychologist, working at clinical psychology from a public health perspective.  I will hopefully be attending graduate school to get a PhD in either clinical psychology or community psychology.

What is your proudest accomplishment?  A lot of my proudest accomplishments in recent times have come from my job as an RA.  I absolutely adore my residents and helping them navigate through freshmen year has been an honor.  Whether it be dealing with ex-boyfriends who are still in high school, families that are slightly dysfunctional, girls who give them butterflies, or picking classes for next semester, the fact that they trust me makes me so proud.

What is something you’d like to see in the world in the future?  I would like to see more empathy.  My favorite quote has always been, “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view… Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”  Everyone in the world should read To Kill a Mockingbird, that would be a good first step.  And universal education and healthcare would be pretty cool too.

What inspires you?  For me this is more of a who than a what.  My mother has always been my rock and best friend.  She has truly sacrificed herself countless times for my well-being, never thinking of herself and always putting others’ happiness above her own.  She has taught me time and time again what having empathy really means and I can tell you, my mama is the embodiment of love.

Anything you’d like to add for our readers?  Just like Disney’s new Cinderella movie says, “Have courage and be kind.”  That includes being kind to yourself.  Sometimes I think that is the most important thing of all.