Campus Celebrity: Alex Bulova

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Name: Alex Bulova

Year: Sophomore (Class of 2019)

Majors: Film and Media Studies and Government

Hometown: Fairfax, VA

Activities on Campus: Theatre, WMTV, Young Democrats

Describe Yourself in Three Words: Life’s my stage

What Is Your Spirit Animal and Why?

I’ve never really given this question much thought, but the first animal that comes to mind is a bee. I try to keep myself busy on campus, whether it’s academically or through clubs. I’m just trying to get the whole college experience, so I stay busy. Busy as a bee. God, is that too cliched?

What Was The Best Part of Your Summer?

Directing a musical that I co-wrote for the DC Capital Fringe Festival. My friend Sarah and I started working on the show the winter of our senior year of high school, and ayear and a half later we got to perform it for hundreds of people. It was kind of surreal, directing something in a professional environment. We were treated like adults. We got reviewed by professional newspapers and everything. But it was so rewarding. Our show got extended by three performances and was a “pick of the Fringe.” But I can’t rest on my laurels too much. I’ve already got another show planned for next summer.

What’s Your Favorite Part of William and Mary?

Everyone says that the people are the best part of William and Mary, and that’s 100% true. There’s something about the people who go here that makes me feel at home. We’re all just a bunch of nerds, and I couldn’t be happier about that. Oh, and the physical campus is pretty great as well. Especially Old Campus. Gotta love those bricks.

What Is Your Favorite Movie?

Oh god, this is a tough one. My personal favorite is All That Jazz, a 1979 musical about the death of a director. But my populist pick is Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

What is One Piece of Advice You Have For Freshman (or anyone)?

Get out of your dorm. When you look back at college 10 years from now, you won’t remember all of the nights you spent studying quietly in your room. You’ll remember the clubs, the misadventures, the friends. Obviously, academics are very important (you go to William and Mary after all). But when your friends ask if you want to go to the Wren 10, put down the pencil and go. You won’t regret it.

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.