7 Pumpkin Spice Items that Prove Pumpkin Spice Went Too Far in 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

As fall comes to a close, we say goodbye to everyone’s favorite flavor: pumpkin spice. Spearheaded by Starbucks’ campaign to promote their seasonal Pumpkin Spice Latte (which now goes by the ubiquitous acronym PSL), the fall flavor has found its way into all sorts of foods besides coffee. As with any trend, companies have been adding pumpkin spice to things that shouldn’t have it. Pumpkin spice products have reached an all-time high, and I think they’ve gone too far. To prove it, I have scoured the Internet for the most bizarre and downright disturbing pumpkin spice products available for sale.

Here are 7 of the most bizarre pumpkin spice products that were avaible this fall, ranked in order of cringeworthiness.

1. Pumpkin Spice Hummus

Source

I’d like to think that pumpkin spice hummus actually has some potential. The light cinnamon notes could translate to a tasty, slightly spiced addition to vegetables and pita. However, I’m a traditionalist and so hummus that doesn’t taste like chickpeas doesn’t sit right with me.

2. Pumpkin Spice Shampoo

Source

Crazy scented shampoos are nothing new, so it makes sense that shampoo companies would invest in an autumnal scent. However, what exactly is the appeal of smelling like you dumped a pumpkin on your head? Is that something people are attracted to?

3. Pumpkin Spice Jello

Source

The concept of pumpkin spice Jello confuses me confuses me—what exactly would it taste like? Would the cinnamon and nutmeg make the Jello grainy?

4. Pumpkin Spice E-Cigarettes

Source

First of all the idea of walking through a cloud of pumpkin spice smoke is extremely upsetting. Most upsetting, however, about this product is that it very specifically markets to children. Calm down e-cig companies; we don’t want your seasonal scented smoke here.

5. Pumpkin Spice Pringles

Source

I struggle with “artsy” flavored chips already (Lay’s released a Wasabi Ginger flavor in 2014) but this may be the most ridiculous one.  What sort of sauce could you even dip these in?

6. Pumpkin Spice Whey Protein

Source

Buy for your basic weightlifting friends so that they can be ready for the fall workout season. I also like how they try to distract you from the pumpkin spice flavor by putting a skull on it. Because skulls make everything edgy right?

7. Pumpkin Spice Water

Source

NO.

To recover from the trauma of that list, here’s a photo of the BEST Pumpkin Spice product of 2015:

Source

Psychology and Marketing major, accidental sorority girl at William and Mary. I love dressing fancy, eating, and sleeping, and hope to make a career out of all three of those things.