Hey incoming W&M freshman! It’s a really exciting time for you ladies as you are getting closer and closer to freshman move-in, but I think that there are a few things that you should know before making that wonderful move to the ‘Burg:
1. YES, you will make friends – I may seem like the most confident person you may ever meet, but I remember sitting on the floor crying in my mom’s bedroom the day before freshman move-in that I wouldn’t have any friends. The important thing to remember is that EVERYONE is new, and mostly everyone does not have friends, so you are all in the same boat. During orientation you get really close with your hall and you do a lot of mixers that allow you to meet loads of people.
2. Don’t overload on extra-curriculars – What’s so great about William and Mary is that there are so many clubs and organizations that cater to all your many faceted needs and interests! As an over-achiever, I joined WAY too many organizations and was very overwhelmed my first semester. Pick no more than 3 organizations that you are truly interested in and passionate about and see where that takes you! Remember always be a student first!
3. Get some quality rainboots – This my fashion tip for you! The terrain at W&M is interesting to say the least! The bricks are killer and when it rains, the sidewalk floods like crazy! I suggest buying a good pair of rainboots that will last through those crazy monsoon days that like to happen in Williamsburg. Hunter rainboots are my top choice! I know they are a little pricey, but they are very much worth the price!
4. My favorite topic – BOYS! – For those of you with or without boyfriends, it’s good to know what to expect from William and Mary boys! Well there are the guys that have never have come into female contact in their life, the really sweet ones that will walk you home from Swem at 1 in the morning or will go lunch in the Caf with you, and then there are the athletes and the frat guys. Now these aren’t all the types of William and Mary boys, but in general W&M guys are pretty chill and there is nothing to be worried about. You will find guys that will become your bestfriend and ones that may become your boyfriend!
5. Don’t stress! Do your best! Enjoy life! – Guess what? You’re in college now! These are the best years of your life and it’s only going to get better from here! Don’t take these years for granted! Meet new people, have fun, and make fabulous memories that will last your entire lifetime.