5 Stages of Tabling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

We all know the feeling of sitting behind a table in Sadler, watching people walk by, and desperately trying to attract their attention for your organization. It’s an experience that is frightening, boring, and exciting, and an experience that links all W&M students together, for better or for worse.  Here are the 5 stages of tabling in Sadler. 

1. Dread

Your tabling slot is coming up. Yes, you signed up for this but you so wish you didn’t have to go and endure being deliberately ignored for an hour as you frantically try to attract people to your table with candy and yelling. 

Image Source

2. Cowardice

You’re at the table. You’re fully stocked up on candy and pamphlets. The steady stream of students into Sadler begins. And you do…nothing. Everyone looks so absorbed in their phones and conversations, you don’t want to disturb them. They look away from your or above you, avoiding eye contact at all costs. You wish you were doing literally anything instead of tabling. 

Image Source

3. Motivation

You have 40 minutes of your shift left, and you can’t just sit at your table motionless. You gain confidence and brandish your candy and shout at passerby, beckoning them to your table.

Image Source

4. Success

Someone comes over to your table and talks to you. You probably already know them, but it doesn’t matter — you’ve succeeded in your mission. Now you can rest.

Image Source

5. Relief

Your shift is over. You walk away from your table feeling complete and utter bliss about the fact that you don’t have to endure the awkwardness anymore. Oh wait…you’re tabling for another organization next week.

Image Source

Dana Florczak is an English major at the College of William and Mary, with aspirations of being the boss when she grows up. She loves talking about herself in the third person.