5 Fall Comfort Foods That Aren’t Pumpkin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Fall is here and that means the inevitable arrival of all things pumpkin. With odd, new pumpkin recipes being introduced every day, the pumpkin craze can get sort of tiring. If the thought of seeing even one more recipe with the word “pumpkin” in it makes you twitch, relish in the fact that these comfort food recipes have no traces of pumpkin and get ready to enjoy other great, underappreciated fall flavors!

Chili and Cornbread Skillet (Recipe source)

Chili is such a great comfort food by itself, and in this recipe, the extra addition of cornbread makes it even better!

Image source

Ingredients:

·      1 pound ground beef

·      1 15 oz can black beans

·      1 15 oz can chili seasoned tomatoes

·      1 15 oz can chili beans

·      1 10 oz can sweet corn

·      1 10 oz can tomato sauce

·      1 15 oz box cornbread mix (plus ingredients on the box – egg, milk, oil)

·      1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus some for garnish

Directions:

1.     Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

2.     In a 12″ oven safe skillet, cook ground beef until no longer pink. Drain.

3.     To the cooked ground beef, add black beans, tomatoes, chili beans, corn and tomato sauce. If you want an extra kick of spice, add 1-2 teaspoons of chili powder. Stir together and bring to a low boil.

4.     Simmer for ten minutes.

5.     While the chili is simmering, mix up the cornbread using the box mix plus the ingredients it calls for, such as eggs, milk, and oil or butter. Add the cup of shredded cheddar and gently stir just enough to incorporate.

6.     Remove chili from heat and drop cornbread batter by spoonfuls over the chili, gently spreading to the edges.

7.     Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until the top is nice and golden brown. Check the cornbread for doneness before dividing into bowls and serving.

Loaded Potato Soup I (Recipe source)

Nothing makes a chilly day better than a nice, warm cup of soup, and a loaded potato in the form of soup is even better!

Image source

Ingredients:

·       8 potatoes, peeled and cubed

·       1/2 cup butter

·       1/2 cup all-purpose flour

·       8 cups milk

·       1/4 cup chopped onion

·       1 (8 ounce) container sour cream

·       1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

·       salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1.   Place cubed potatoes into a glass dish, and cook in the microwave oven for 7 to 10 minutes, or until soft.

2.   While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour until smooth, then gradually stir in the milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened.

3.   Stir in the potatoes and onion, and cook for 5 more minutes. Stir in the sour cream and Cheddar cheese until melted and well blended. Season with salt and pepper.

Lentil Soup With Chickpeas and Quinoa (Recipe source)

This soup is very flavorful from the abundant use of spices and isn’t only healthy, but also vegan-friendly!

Image source

Ingredients:

·     1/2 a red onion diced

·     A splash of sunflower oil

·     1 clove of garlic chopped

·     a small knob of grated ginger

·     1 tsp each of ground cumin, coriander, chillies and turmeric

·     1/2 tsp of ground cloves

·     1 cup of red lentils

·     2-3 cups of chicken stock or vegetable stock

·     1 can of chickpeas aka garbanzo beans

·     1 cup of cooked quinoa

·     salt and pepper to taste

·     thick yogurt and chopped coriander to garnish

·     squeeze of lime juice

Instructions:

1.   Heat the oil in a thick bottomed saucepan and fry off the onions on a medium heat. Add the ground spices and stir until they become aromatic.

2.   Add the garlic and ginger and stir again for a few minutes. Then add the red lentils and toss in the spice mixture for one more minute.

3.   Add the chicken or vegetable stock and cook on high heat till it comes to a rapid boil. Lower the heat and let the ingredients simmer for about 10-15 mins. Season to taste.

4.   Remove from the heat and blend using a stab blender or do it manually using a regular blender. Add the drained and rinsed chickpeas and let it simmer for another 5 mins.

5.   Stir through the cooked quinoa and squeeze a little lime juice in the soup. Garnish with a dollop of thick yogurt and chopped coriander.

Warm Toasted Marshmallow S’Mores Bars (Recipe source)

Image source

Ingredients:

·       1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker™ sugar cookie mix 

·       1 cup graham cracker crumbs

·       1 cup butter or margarine, melted

·       3 cups milk chocolate chips (18 oz)

·       4 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows

Directions:

1.     Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, stir together cookie mix and crumbs. Stir in melted butter until soft dough forms. Press into ungreased 13×9-inch pan.

2.     Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until set. Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over crust. Let stand 3 to 5 minutes or until chocolate begins to melt. Spread chocolate evenly over crust.

3.     Set oven control to broil. Sprinkle marshmallows over melted chocolate. Broil with top 5 to 6 inches from heat 20 to 30 seconds or until marshmallows are toasted. (Watch closely; marshmallows will brown quickly.) Cool 10 minutes. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Serve warm. Store any remaining bars tightly covered.

Vegan Apple Oatmeal Cookies (Recipe source)

Apple and oatmeal are a great combination, and best of all, these cookies are also vegan-friendly!

Image source

Ingredients:

·       1 cup oatmeal

·       3/4 cups all-purpose flour ((or use whole wheat))

·       2/3 cups brown sugar

·       1/2 tablespoon cornstarch

·       1/2 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder

·       1/3 cup apple (finely chopped)

·       1/4 teaspoon salt

·       1/4 teaspoon cinnamon ((optional))

·       1/4 cup oil ((or vegan Earth Balance margarine))

·       1/4 cup soymilk

Directions:

·       Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

·       In mixing bowl, combine first 8 ingredients.

·       Mix oil and soy milk together in a measuring cup, then pour into mixing bowl with dry ingredients and stir.

·       Use spoons to drop heaping tablespoon sized mounds onto a prepared cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes, or until edges of cookies are slightly browned.

·       Cool, and enjoy!

Sierra is a junior who is majoring in English. She is a huge grammar nerd with an endless love for the written word and for the complexities of the English language.