5 Books To Read Over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Winter break is a time where we kick up our feet and relax before we’re thrust, once again, into the world of tests, homework, papers, and finals. It’s a time for Netflix binges, family time, and holiday celebrations. But when everything becomes too much, it’s nice to slip away for a while and settle in with a good book. Here’s a list of good books for you to read this holiday break, including the first book from a new author, Parker Sinclair, a couple of books that inspired her, and two other books that became popular this year.

Trust by Parker Sinclair – Recently released on December 4th, 2014, this first novel by Parker Sinclair is the first in her Alex Connor Chronicles. Readers follow Alex, a 26 year old event coordinator and party planner who has mystical powers she discovered when she was about five. Though her life seems fun with the parties and the drinking and the good times, she spends day after day fending off nightmares. But is her fight enough? Will her powers ultimately bring back the one man who’s behind all her nightmares? Find out in this exciting and intriguing novel that will leave you wanting more.

Source

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss – This magical and captivating tale is about a hero who is rumored to have killed a king and caused the present war. In the current time, the hero, Kvothe, poses as an innkeeper, Kote, who saves a traveling scribe, Chronicle. Chronicle asks Kvothe to tell his story and so Kvothe begins to tell his story, starting in his childhood. At a young age, Kvothe traveled with a troupe of performers where a scholar teaches him about science and sympathy. When the other people in the troupe were destroyed, Kvothe was left alone. Join Kvothe as he relives the events of his past.

Source

Weird Girls Series by Cecy Robson – This book series with five novels and three novellas follows the lives of the Weird sisters who are different from every race on earth, human and supernatural. When human society becomes no longer suitable for them to live in, they decide to move in among the werebeasts, vampires, and witches of the Lake Tahoe region. Follow these sisters as they struggle to make this their new home and have odd and dangerous run-ins with the other supernatural beings that live in this region.

Source

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han – In this cute book about a girl who has written love letters to the five boys she’s crushed on, the readers follow Lara Jean as she goes on this wild love adventure. Lara kept all the love letters to these boys from over the years. In them she’s written things she wouldn’t have said in real life. After pouring her heart out because she had no intention of anyone else seeing them, she finds out that the letters were mailed off to the five boys. Read along as Lara goes on this love adventure that pulls her love life out of her imagination.

Source

Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult – In this novel about searching for a parent who mysteriously disappeared, the reader follows a loving daughter who would do anything to find her mother. Jenna is desperate to find the truth about her mother’s disappearance, so she gathers the help of a psychic, a private detective, and her mother’s old journals. The three of them work together to uncover the truth about what really happened to Alice. Follow Jenna as she and her two allies discover some hard questions and some ever harder answers.

Source

Cover Photo Source