23 Thoughts You’ll Have During 7am BodyPump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

1. Your alarm goes off at 6am and you immediately reconsider this whole “health” thing.2. Why did you choose to live so far away from the Student Recreation Center? It’s literally a 15-minute walk.

3. Are bed-aerobics a thing? Surely you can do some leg lifts without actually getting up? That’ll keep you healthy, right?

4. Just when you make up your mind to sleep in, you remember that you actually spent money on a Fitwell pass—the full-year pass too.

5. You finally drag yourself out of bed, try to find you sneakers without waking your roommate, and go to pick out a workout outfit.6. You’re far too exhausted to wiggle into a cute sports-bra and workout top so you settle for grungy leggings and a free t-shirt that you haven’t worn from freshman year. It’s a 7am class. How “cute” are you expected to look this early?7. The cool morning air shocks you awake as you leave your dorm. You cringe, zip up your sweatshirt, and begin your cross-campus trek.

8. A peppy jogger zooms past you. You wonder how anyone could have that much energy this early in the morning. Whatever, she must be one of those rare morning people.

9. Another jogger runs past you. This time it’s an elderly lady. She’s clearly living her best life. You really want to go back to bed.10. You finally make it to the Rec, fumble for your student ID, and swipe in. The gate doesn’t open and the student employee at the desk has to manually let you in. So far, so great.

11. You get a BodyPump pass and head into the Group Fitness Studio. Somehow, the room is nearly full at 6:45am. The instructor says hello and you grunt in reply. Now you feel bad for at least not trying to smile. Seriously, how are people functioning this early in the morning?12. You shuffle around the studio grabbing blocks to make your bench. You grab a weight bar (Is that what it’s called? You have no idea.) and struggle to life a few weights from the rack.

13. You notice that your stack of weights is significantly lighter than everyone else’s so your grab a few more of the 5kg weights even though you know good and well that 2.5kg is your limit. Even though the instructor encourages everyone to focus on their own lifting goals, having more weights makes you feel cool.14. Class begins. You glance around the room. How on earth do these people look so put-together? You attempt to straighten out your wrinkled t-shirt but quickly give up. The instructor finishes their introduction and the class launches into the warmup phase.

15. “This isn’t too bad,” you think to yourself. You add some more weights for the next section.16. Wait, are you doing this right? Are you sticking your butt out too much?

17. The next song is one of your favorites. This next workout section is going to be lit.

18. After 5 minutes you’re covered in sweat, you can’t feel your arms, and you officially HATE that song. You remove half the weight off the bar and start the next workout.19. You think you’re done when the instructor cheerfully shouts, “Great work! One set down, two more to go.” You shoot daggers with your eyes.

20. Bicep curls make you look super intense. You stare at yourself in the mirror. You feel powerful and in control. Your arms still hurt, though. You power through the pain.21. You’re doing lunges. “Four more,” the instructor shouts. You give it all you’ve got, eager to be done. “Great, now another eight!” What?! You thought you were done! Is this an honor code violation? You feel so betrayed but get through the set and are slightly shocked that you actually did it. Your legs feel great!22. During core workout you consider just laying on your mat and taking a quick nap, but you’ve come this far, might as well finish strong.

23. Your instructor takes the class through stretches. You feel oddly relaxed. Maybe you’ll come to the next class.

*But actually, BodyPump is a super fun and challenging class. The instructors are encouraging and I’ve really enjoyed trying something new. Try BodyPump for yourself Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings at 7am at William & Mary Campus Recreation. I’ll be the girl in the back struggling to complete more than 3 consecutive pushups. *

Thumbnail Source

Kayla Sharpe is a sophomore at the College of William & Mary majoring in Film & Media Studies with a minor in American Studies. She loves journalism, Broadway, and is a huge fan of video games.