14 Things I Wish I Would Have Known Before Coming to William and Mary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

Approaching the end of my first college semester, I am in a reminiscent mood. Regretful and reflective, here are some things all freshmen should know before they come to William and Mary.

Before Arrival:

1. Pack accordingly. I brought two full suitcases to WM. When I was unpacking, I found out I only needed one-third of the items for life here!

2. Check emails from Orientation Aides (OAs), RAs, and the Office of First Year Experience. Their suggestions based on firsthand experience prepare newcomers for life at WM. For example, my RA reminded my hallmates of no AC in our hall, so we could bring fans and/or AC units.

Orientation

3. During Orientation, new students see the most cheerful and the most caring people in the world: OAs and RAs! Do not hesitate to talk to them. OAs and RAs are also skilled at guiding you to find people who can help with any difficulties you may experience.

4. An Orientation day may start at 7:30 am and end at 11 pm. Get enough sleep to be energetic for various events. The Orientation period often involves lots of walking, so wear comfortable clothing and stay hydrated!

5. The busy schedule, with lots of activities in places you may not have heard of, can be overwhelming sometimes, so having a copy of the Orientation schedule (electronic or printed) will be helpful. Also, stay tuned for the hall group chat for updates!

Academics

6. Syllabus, syllabus, syllabus! There is no doubt that syllabi are the soul of college courses because policies about assignments, attendance, and required texts are all listed. Check syllabi when in confusion and pay attention to any updates to syllabi.

7. I would never know how insightful office hours could be until I went to some in my first month on campus. During in-person consultations, professors listen to you and personalize their suggestions. Specifically, some professors count attendance for offices hours as extra credit for participation!

Lifestyle

8. The first year of college is probably many individuals’ first time to lead independent lives. Instead of complaining about how college life makes one unfit at the end of the semester, eat healthy, exercise frequently, and rest regularly from the start! 

9. Hot chocolate is more magical than you expected! As a sweet drink, it is not high in calories. Additionally, hot chocolate is perfect for a chilly evening as it warms you and keeps you awake. Hot chocolate is served at the Caf and Sadler dining halls, and can also be purchased at Swemromas, Cosi, and The Element Cafe.

10. Dress accordingly. The weather and temperature vary in Williamsburg. A hot afternoon may follow a freezing morning!

About Campus

11. The libraries at WM do not mean only “books” and “self-studying.” Talk with research librarians when you have research assignments. Borrow chargers when your devices are in low battery mode. Meet a language tutor at the Read and Relax area. For fun, you can also request a DVD with a SuperDrive and take some time to relax!

12. Take proactive steps to make reservations. If you find one resource helpful, others probably do as well. Be proactive for the Writing Resources Center appointments, Swem study room reservations, and book requests!

13. If you are taking a language course at WM, language houses are here to help! Screenings, cooking sessions, conversations, games, tutoring, and living in language house not only improve language skills, but also offer cultural immersion.

14. Keep an eye on Student Happenings emails. As going over announcements is not time-consuming, opportunities are there for people who care. I found out about Her Campus from a Student Happenings announcement, and I am now part of the organization!

The above 14 tips interweave my regret, surprise, and appreciation. I hope this writing will not only arouse empathy from current students and alums, but also be informative for potential Tribe members.

Cover image source

Sarah Shevenock is a graduate of The College of William and Mary, where she served as a staff writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus William and Mary. Currently, she is a National Contributing Writer and Entertainment Blogger. In her free time, she enjoys reading voraciously, watching morning news programs, and keeping up with the latest television and movie news. She loves to talk about anything and everything related to theatre, cheer for her beloved Pittsburgh Penguins, and drink fancy coffee.