This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

We don’t usually stop to think about it, but fashion and a fabulous meal very much work hand-in-hand.  We spend hours agonizing over what to wear for our dinner date, or for a night out to that new vegan restaurant with friends, making it seem like the outfit is just as important as the meal!  So in honor of the most important meal of the entire year, (aka the day when it’s most acceptable to stuff yourself to your heart’s desire) we’ve compiled the different pieces you need to create the perfect outfit for Thanksgiving dinner.  These picks are sure to make a good impression on your relatives, while still allowing you to be comfortable as you embark on the best eating adventure of the year.

Black Pleated Skirt

Inevitably, we know of the food baby we will have until at least the following day, so it’s best to be prepared.  Wearing a skirt for Thanksgiving dinner is classy, while secretly giving you a little extra room to breathe.  The black pleated design goes with everything and looks really elegant.  You’ll be so happy you chose to wear a skirt, trust us on this one.

Ruffled Blouse

A fitted blouse is comfortable and chic.  The ruffles feel sophisticated and lady-like; helping to assert your rightful place at the adult Thanksgiving table.  Plus, we are all for a top that is versatile; not just for special occasions, a blouse like this would be perfect in your professional wardrobe as well!

Flowy Maroon Cardigan 

A cardigan is never a bad idea, since you never know how hot or cold it may be.  Although it’s true that black is a color that goes with everything, sometimes it’s good to switch things up.  Maroon is a pretty color that often gets forgotten, yet just as universal as black.  Three-quarter sleeves are great because they allow you to show off your accessories!

Gold Choker Necklace

Speaking of accessories, all informed fashionistas have heard by now that some of our fave 90’s trends are making a comeback.  One of these just so happens to be the choker necklace, but with an even better twist.  We’re not talking about the boring black chokers with a single dangling charm we all wore in grade school; this time, the choker is much more elegant.  The gold chain links will bring the holiday sparkle to your Thanksgiving ensemble without looking like you stepped back in time.

Oxford Shoes

Just as comfy as any pair of flats, but way cuter… the classic Oxfords!  You won’t be tripping over them or getting blisters.  With Oxfords, it’s all in the details.  This pair lends a feminine feel with the grey-on-black accents, but there are plenty of designs out there for whatever look you’re going for.  Plus, Oxfords look amazing with a flowy skirt!

Knee-Length Gray Socks

Like nice long gloves for your feet, there is no better way to keep your legs warm than with a pair of knee-length socks.  Tights can be uncomfortable and a hassle to put on; not to mention that they often rip apart and don’t really keep you warm.  Socks that come up to your knees will elongate your legs and are just the right touch to complete the outfit.

Although our obvious excitement for Thanksgiving comes from the fact that we’ll at home relaxing and eating delicious home-cooked food, we also want to make a good impression at dinner. Our families will inevitably ask us for all the details of our lives at school.  Make your outfit do the talking for you by incorporating some of these fashion-forward ideas! 

Michelle Motyl is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison double majoring in Biology and Journalism. Her role models include Meredith from Grey’s Anatomy and Giuliana Rancic of E! News. Michelle believes her big city hometown of Chicago is second-to-none, and can be heard sharing random thoughts on her Twitter @MeeshtheKeesh. In her spare time, she enjoys reading the newest YA romance novels while sipping on skinny vanilla lattes, believing that the best men you will meet in life are those you find in books, not bars.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!