Why it’s Okay to Say “No” When You Have Too Much on Your Plate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

When our parents told us “no” when we were younger, that was the end of it — “no” simply meant “no.” So, why has “no” become synonymous with “I don’t care enough” or “not worth my time” with age?

Maybe we’re over-caffeinated, or maybe we’ve just become accustomed to stretching ourselves too thin (both literally and metaphorically, thanks to those Pilates classes). Either way, it’s time to reintroduce “no” back into our vocabulary.

First of all, it’s important to learn how to say “no” for the sake of your own mental sanity. Stress is a silent killer — you can run, but you can’t hide. We all know what it’s like to feel overwhelmed, so be proactive and stop yourself from taking on more than you can handle. Don’t fear the “no,” embrace it! Learn the art of prioritization, and put “peace of mind” at the top.

We tend to factor in other people’s opinions more than we should, and that’s human nature. It feels good to be praised and admired for your accomplishments. But, if you take more than you know you can handle because you feel like you have to please everyone else, you’ll only end up hurting yourself. You can’t assume other people’s circumstances, and you shouldn’t ignore your own either.

Saying “no” can open doors to so many opportunities. Maybe you can finally finish that book you’ve been reading on-and-off for the past three months; maybe you’ll find some time to take a walk outside and enjoy the weather; maybe you’ll get to go on that vacation you’ve been saving up for; maybe you’ll save yourself some wrinkles and some gray hairs.

It’s just like Drake said, “know yourself, know your worth.” You know yourself best, and you are worth so much more than how much you manage to cram into your schedule, which tends to go from 0 to 100 — real quick.