Why It’s Okay to Not Know Your Career Path or Major Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Being a college student, some of the most frequently asked questions we hear on a day-to-day basis are things such as, “What is your major?” and, “What do you want to do after college?” Some students may feel as if they’re running out of time to decide what they want to do in life or what they want their major to be. And this can be extremely stressful.

However, they are most certainly wrong. Ranging from ages 18 to 21, we’re all still young adults who are constantly making new decisions each and every day. So, with that in mind, why should we know what we want to do at this point in our lives?

Many people believe that choosing a major depicts what you’ll ultimately be doing later on in life. Though, they are definitely mistaken. College students are unaware of the fact that your major does not define what you may become in the future. But rather, it is a way to explore one’s interests and hobbies throughout college.

Studies have actually shown that 20 to 50 percent of students go into college with an undeclared major, and about 75 percent of students change their major before they graduate. Changing one’s major is a very common occurrence among students, and it has actually shown to be an effective way for students to explore what they like and dislike. It is important for students to remain open-minded about the courses they choose, and enroll in courses that spark an interest to them rather than just fulfilling requirements. Doing this can help create a steady direction for students and their futures.

Personally speaking, I came into college thinking that I wanted to major in Nonprofit and Community Leadership. However, I then realized after taking several courses that it wasn’t the best fit for me. After taking several courses my Freshman year, I was able to recognize what I enjoyed most. This then helped me to decide on a major I can confidently say I’m passionate about. Going into college, I would have never thought that I would have taken this path, but I’m happy I was able to have the opportunity to explore my options and find what fit my interest.

Although I chose my major already, I still am not exactly sure what I want to do after I graduate. But, I’ve learned from many sources that that is okay. Exploring courses, and ultimately landing on a specific major, has helped to create a path for my future after I graduate. It remains a mystery for me, and others, which is the most exhilarating and exciting piece of it all.

In our society, numerous individuals may not necessarily be fully satisfied with their career choices. A large portion of these individuals choose to take the easiest route for themselves, which isn’t always the smartest route in the end. It is important to become invested in something that interests you most, that way you can be as happy as you can in the long run.

Following steps like these, and committing to something that suits your interests, is the best approach and advice to give to a college student. By doing this, you can learn so many new things, and it will essentially help you explore opportunities that you may have never imagined.

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!