When is it Acceptable to Start Playing Christmas Music?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Are you in the Christmas mood already? Are you wondering if listening to Christmas music is socially acceptable yet? Sadly, there is no hard-and-fast rule of when you can start playing Christmas music without someone judging you. So, instead of telling you a specific start date, you can decide for yourself when you want to start listening based on these pros and cons.

Pros

Christmas music makes you feel happy and warm inside.

Anyone can sing Christmas songs. Well, not everyone can hit Mariah Carey’s notes as flawlessly as her, but it’s still is a great way to get into the holiday spirit.

It can even make you extremely productive, especially if you’re trying to decorate.

There’s a huge variety of holiday songs, so there is guaranteed to be a song that appeals to you. Whether you prefer the slower, sadder songs, the cheery ones, or even the modern spin-offs, there are plenty of choices to turn on and dance to.

The songs bring out the Christmas spirit of appreciating your family and friends.

Last but not least, it means you’re one step closer to Christmas.

Cons After listening to the same songs, it’s possible to get sick of them.

Each “new song” is usually only a rendition of the same songs that you’re sick of.

Christmas songs get stuck in your head so easily!

Whether this inspires you to go listen to some Christmas tunes right now, or makes you want to put it off until the day before Christmas, we can all agree that Christmas music can represent such a happy time that is the holiday season. Always be aware that some people may not like you blasting your favorite holiday songs, but the best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear. So, sing them loud and proud, Badgers!

Chloe Billstrom

Wisconsin '20

A junior studying Sociology, Spanish, and Global Health who also has a love for writing and languages.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!