What a guy’s pick-up line says about him

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Smooth move, buddy

“Why are you dancing all alone?”
This will most likely be said in the middle of a crowded bar or club, and the six or so friends you came with will most likely be surrounding you – ipso facto, you are not “all alone” at all. The guy is fidgety and nervous and has been hovering around you all night, working up the nerve to say something. He clearly hasn’t done this before (or maybe he has, but he’s experienced a very low success rate), so a word to the wise: he’s probably a freshman.

“Can I get you a drink?”
Surprisingly, I don’t hate this line. Sure, it’s the obvious go-to for a guy and lacking in creativity, but let’s cut the opposite sex a break – it can be hard to approach a total stranger! Even if you don’t want to accept a drink, it’s a start, and the conversation can continue in multiple different directions.

“Daaang shawty are those space pants? Cause your butt is outta this world.”
Ok ok, so you probably haven’t heard something as utterly ridiculous as this, but unfortunately one of my friends has…true story. Of course, a line like this can only mean one of three things: this guy is beyond desperate, beyond drunk or both. Either way, this guy has no business talking to you at the moment, so I suggest making a clean and swift exit.