The Ultimate Packing List for Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Maybe you’re leaving the country for the first time; maybe not. Maybe you’ve never traveled to a different country alone before; or maybe you have. Maybe you’re really good at packing bags for long trips; maybe you’re not. I know, I know… us girls like to pack everything in our suitcases—just in case, right? Among the millions of things you decide to put in your luggage, here are the top 10 things you should NEVER forget to bring for the best semester (or year) of your life.

10. Outlet Adapter

You might need different electricity adapters depending on where you go. Sure you can get it after you get there, but trust me, the last thing you want is for your phone to die when you are new to a completely unacquainted country.

9. Medicine

Bring your Advil; bring your Tylenol.  You don’t want to go around with a pounding head, or a runny nose, looking for the closest pharmacy only to find that you can’t understand any of the names or labels of any of the medications they sell. So stock up on those Advil – you know what the drinking age is in most countries…

8. Gift for your host family

Never forget to show gratitude! Thank the people who took care of you, fed you, and helped you along your journey. Want to thank them for sharing their culture with you? Return the favor. Even the smallest of things can mean a lot!

7. Journal

Trust me, you will want somewhere to mark your study abroad milestones; somewhere to put all the tickets and the bits and pieces you collect along the way. You WILL NOT regret bringing this.

6. Travel Guide

While there are many travel guides available online, let’s admit it, they aren’t quite as good as the physical copies. They will never fail you if you’re just looking for something to see, or something to eat. So bring a travel guide and spoil yourself!

5. Study Abroad Bucket List

While studying will be a big part of what you’re going to be doing there, DON’T FORGET TO HAVE FUN. This is the one time where you can truly explore— explore the country, and explore yourself. Set goals, and have fun! You don’t want to look back in 10 years and think, “ah, why didn’t I do that then?”

4. Health Insurance Card

A lot of people forget about it. DON’T BE THAT PERSON. But before you leave, make sure your insurance works in the country you’re going to.

3. Snacks

Maybe sometimes you just want some Twinkies, or some Cheetos, just some taste of home. Depending on where you go, you might not always find what you need. So go ahead, fill your suitcase up with those easy macs. No judgement. They might become your comfort food.

2. A piece of home

Bring your childhood teddy bear, or a picture of your family. Just in case you have an emotional break down when it’s 3 AM in the U.S. and you can’t call home. It WILL come in handy.

1. A curious heart hungry for adventure

This is what it’s really about, isn’t it?

So here you are ladies! Now, go run wild and explore all the possibilities there is to offer out there!

Haidee is a sophomore from Hong Kong at University of Wisconsin- Madison pursuing majors in Journalism and Sociology. Inspired by the humor and kindness of Ellen DeGeneres, Haidee aspires to be a journalist who dedicates her talents to human interest story or lifestyle story reporting (aka. someone who eats for a living). On top of being a die-hard Patriots fan and a New Girl addict, Haidee is also the ultimate foodie.