Top 10 Things to Leave in 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

In 2016, we saw just about everything—the good, the bad, and the ugly. With the holiday season approaching, resolutions are brewing and plans are being made for the new year. In order to ensure that 2017 will be the best year ever, it’s out with the old and in with the new. Here are the top ten fads, trends, and experiences that we need to leave in 2016.

1. Chocker Necklaces

Honestly, these should’ve gone away when they tried to make a comeback in 2014. Sure, some might say they are trendy, but over the years they’ve gotten bigger, thicker, and way more intricate. Appearing as if you have a thick ribbon keeping your head on your shoulders isn’t a cute look.

2. “Dabbing”

Dabbing is hilarious, but also really annoying. No need to bow your head down and stick your arm out every time you sneeze or master a dance move.

3. Talking about the presidential election results

Yes, people will be talking about politics quite frequently in 2017, but there is no reason to dwell on who you believe should’ve won.

4. “JuJu-ing”

Gathering all of your friends and dancing to “JuJu On That Beat” was soooo much fun in October, but now it’s done. Time to think of a new song and to dance to!

5. Instagram Stories

Did anyone actually make these anyways? We don’t really see why this feature was ever created, as we are all constantly posting to Snapchat anyways.

6. Failed relationships

Romantic or not, if something didn’t work out between you and someone else, there is no need to force anything. It is healthy to take a break and to start fresh at the beginning of a new year.

7. Selfie Sticks

I’m not sure why, but sometimes you can still spot people carrying these around. They are extremely outdated, and it’s somewhat embarrassing at this point to hold what looks like a giant stick up in the middle of the street.

8. The word “savage”

This word HAS to go. Although it commonly used to represent someone who is “epic” and “unreal,” it sounds as if you are describing an uncivilized, wild animal.

9. The Mannequin Challenge

Whether you were at the Thanksgiving dinner table or at a tailgate, you definitely posed still at one point to make a funny mannequin challenge video. The craze is over, everyone!

10. Worrying a little too much

It’s easy to get caught up in the little things and over-contemplate certain decisions. Life is short, so make sure you take advantage of everything it has to offer and let your hair down!

We will (hopefully) say goodbye to many things on Jan. 1. This just means that there will be even cooler and more exciting trends coming our way in the New Year. Best of luck in 2017! 

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!