A Tired Girl’s Guide to Getting Ready in the Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Waking up and having to rush to an 8:00 a.m. class is hard enough without having to pick out an outfit, shower, do your hair and makeup, and eat breakfast. Since we aren’t all blessed to be morning people, getting ready in the morning seems almost impossible when all you want to do is crawl back under the covers and snooze your alarm about six more times.

If you find that your morning routine sounds a little bit too much like the five-step morning routine listed below, you may want to consider switching up your routine. Not only will the change fix some of these problems, but you’ll have more time in the morning to actually eat breakfast, get to class early, or, most importantly, sleep.

1. You wake up perpetually tired, dreading having to go to class.

1. You have literally nothing to wear despite your overflowing closet.

1. You want to dress up but don’t want to spend time finding the perfect outfit when that’s quality time you could spend asleep.

1. You think about how cute you would’ve looked if you would’ve gotten up earlier or if you were awake enough to care.

1. You end up wearing your favorite comfy sweater that you’ve worn two times already this week because you’re half asleep and can’t find the energy to put on anything else.

As it turns out, the trick to a morning routine is making it into a night routine. Doing this maximizes your sleep the next morning when every extra minute that you can spend asleep really counts. The two essentials to add to your nighttime routine are: 1. picking out your outfit, and 2. taking a shower.

1. If you lay out your clothes beforehand, you’ll save yourself a ton of time in the morning and won’t have to come home from class to every outfit you own thrown all over your floor. Plus, when you’re half asleep, you’ll no longer have to think about which shirt matches which pants. It’s almost like magic.

1. Taking a shower the night before is really up to you, as it can sometimes wake you up in the morning. However, if you’re really looking to maximize your time asleep in the morning, showering at night can give you 10-15 extra minutes in bed ignoring your problems for the day.

If you’re definitely not a morning person and can only force yourself to get out of bed the second before you leave for class, you might want to try adding pieces of your morning routine into your nighttime routine. Doing so might change your outlook on your outfit of the day from a half-hearted “this is as good as its gonna get” to a resounding “I woke up like dis.”

I'm a junior at the University of Wisconsin Madison studying Neurobiology and Global Health. After graduation I hope to go to medical school and work with the World Health Organization. When I'm not cramming to catch up in classes, you can find me watching late night re-runs. I love to go hiking with my dog, prefer tea over coffee, and will never turn down a chance to go makeup shopping.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!