Tips and Tricks on How to Get Through Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

We all know exams can be stressful and tough, but follow these simple tips to make sure you have the best finals week possible.

1. Take care of yourself: Sleep and eat!

In times of high stress, eating and sleeping right can be difficult. There always seems to be something else more pressing at this time of year, but rest and nutrition are important factors in keeping up the quality of your and your overall performance on exams.

Try packing yourself a lunch or a big bag of wholesome snacks when you head off to the library. You could also plan to stop studying at least an hour before you go to bed in order to give your brain some time to decompress. Keeping your body in balance is key to being productive during finals.

2. Switch up your Study Spots

If you find yourself at the same table, in the same place, whenever you need to get things done, try branching out a little. You might find yourself progress if you come up with a list of several places you feel comfortable and productive in. Whether it’s your room, the library, a coffee shop, or even Bascom Hill (if it’s warm enough), a change of scenery can be an effective way to make your study time worthwhile.

3. Dress Comfortably

If picking out an outfit is a source of stress for you, reevaluate your morning routine during finals. Don’t wear those super skinny jeans if you just really don’t really want to. Instead, have some go-to outfits picked out for this time of year that make you feel beautiful and comfortable.

Some suggestions: a flannel with leggings, a soft pair of sweats and a light sweater, or baggy jeans with a t-shirt and light sweatshirt. 4. Make sure to take breaks

The best way to keep productive is to balance study time and free time. Start by stretching or walking away from your desk at least every hour to let your mind relax. Though it can be hard amidst the craziness of finals, take a step back, and let yourself decompress for a moment.5. Don’t freak out!

First of all, you’ve probably studied a lot more than you think you did and understand the material much better than you realize. Secondly, if you are still convinced ten minutes before the exam that you are not going to get higher than a two percent on the exam, remember that you have worked so hard and have done all that you can. Hey, if you do get a two percent on the exam, no one has to know but you. That grade is for you and you alone.6. Treat Yourself

Be proud of yourself and acknowledge the fact that you have been working so incredibly hard in preparation for these finals. You have been studying your butt off and definitely, deserve to treat yourself. Get those shoes you’ve been wanting or those pants you can’t stop thinking about. Take a bath and put your phone on do-not-disturb and don’t check it. Give yourself a whole lotta love.As you prepare for finals and take your exams, keep in mind that your grades do not define who you are.Do your best, that’s all you can do.

Cate Wilkinson

Wisconsin '20

Cate graduated from UW - Madison in May 2020 with a degree in Microbiology with a certificate in French. She is very passionate about health, wellness, sustainability and communication about these topics!
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!