Time to Roll Out the Red Carpet: Oscars 2016 Predictions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s that time of year again when we get in our pajamas and sit in front of the TV with a bowl of popcorn to watch our favorite stars get all dressed up and make their way down the red carpet.  The 88th Academy Awards are approaching quickly, so it’s time we get prepared and study up on this year’s nominees! Here are some of the movies you should be watching.

Best Picture

1.    “Spotlight”

2.    “The Big Short”

3.    “The Revenant”

4.    “Mad Max: Fury Road”

5.    “The Martian”

6.    “Bridge of Spies”

7.    “Brooklyn”

8.    “Room”

The predicted winner for best picture is “The Revenant,” a story of Hugh Glass (played by our favorite Leonardo DiCaprio) who must use his survival skills to make his way home from the wilderness after a brutal bear attack and abandonment by his hunting team. The picture won 3 Golden Globes and is nominated for 12 Oscars.

Best Actor

1.      Bryan Cranston (“Trumbo”)

2.      Matt Damon (“The Martian”)

3.      Leonardo DiCaprio (“The Revenant”)

4.      Michael Fassbender (“Steve Jobs”)

5.      Eddie Redmayne (“The Danish Girl”)

Predictions for best actor are pointing towards Leonardo DiCaprio.  Leo has been nominated for 6 Academy Awards yet surprisingly has never won one. Many think this could be his big winning year, but he has some fierce competition. Will he finally get the award he deserves?

Best Actress

1.      Cate Blanchett (“Carol”)

2.      Brie Larson (“Room”)

3.      Jennifer Lawrence (“Joy”)

4.      Charlotte Rampling (“45 Years”)

5.      Saoirse Ronan (“Brooklyn”)

The predicted winner for best actress is very much up in the air, but many seem to think it will come down to actresses Brie Larson and Saoirse Ronan, both rising stars.  Larson took home the Golden Globe, but the battle is still not over. Which outstanding performance will win it all?

Stay tuned and watch the 88th Academy Awards on February 28th to find out what happens!

Jami Gross

Wisconsin

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!