Things We Will Always Be Thankful for

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Here’s one thing we can all agree on: the current state of the world doesn’t exactly scream ‘peace on Earth.’ With that being said, it’s really easy to get caught up in all the negatives and forget about all the positives. Thanksgiving has just passed, and even though conditions in the world are far from ideal, we should all take the time to stop and think about everything that we are blessed with. No matter what happens in life, here are some things we will always be thankful for.

1. Family

Your family loves and supports you from up close, but also from a distance. There are very few things that feel better than calling your mom and dad after a really hard exam— just the sound of their voice will cheer you up. You’ll never have more loyal fans in your life.

1. Friends

“Friends are the family we choose.” It may be a cheesy cliché, but it holds so much truth. These are the people who know all your quirks but still choose to spend an endless amount of time with you. Whether they live a block away, or halfway across the country, you know they will never be more than a text message away.

1. Education

Millions of people around the world lack the opportunity to pursue education. That said, most people would love to be in your shoes to learn and experience the things that you do at this great university. Let this serve as a friendly reminder the next time you’re tempted to snooze your alarm through your early morning class.

1. Food

What’s more comforting than a junk food binge? Absolutely nothing.

1. Netflix binges

While it may seem a little superficial to count Netflix as a blessing, it is. You deserve to snuggle up in your bed after a long day of studying. Tell Netflix you’re still watching, you deserve it.

1. Belly laughs

After living for two decades, I find it really hard to find a feeling that can top a good belly laugh — and I mean the kind of belly laugh that makes you question how your body can actually produce such a noise. Laughing until your stomach aches with people you really care about can really make you to forget about all the gross stuff going on in your life, even if it’s only for a moment.

1. Starbucks

Coffee lovers rejoice— Starbucks is always there for you! Personally, I use Starbucks as a constant ‘treat yourself’ moment because, again, I deserve it.

1. Ice cream      

Ice cream isn’t just a summertime treat. I firmly believe that no one can be unhappy while eating a big bowl of ice cream. Whether it be the first day to hit 70-degree in months, or a negative 35-degree night in January, ice cream is always welcomed with open arms.

1. Sunny days

With winter approaching, it’s easy to get caught up in all the bad weather ahead. That being said, never take a sunny day for granted. It might be 20 degrees outside, but as long as the sun is shining, there really isn’t much to complain about.

Take a deep breath and really look around you— we’ve all got a lot to be thankful for!

Hi, I'm Abby Coppens, a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison. I'm pursuing a degree in Economics and Retail. In my free time, I really enjoying hanging out with my friends and family, doing homework, biking, and reading. I'm the biggest friends fanatic on the planet. Go Badgers!
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!