The Struggles of Having a Hot Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

When I was in 8th grade my very best friend looked at me and said, “It really sucks being the hot best friend sometimes”… She was 100% serious. As I tried not to cry and reach for the Cheetos and Half Baked Ben & Jerry’s, I realized that she was the hot one (actually who is hot in 8th grade? Answer: no one). But the truth is there is always going to be someone who is prettier than you, and when that someone is your best friend, there are some struggles you have to face.

1.     If you ever like the same guy, you already know that he will choose her because she’s just a hotter version of you.

2.     She will consistently deny her beauty and call herself fat, and you will be left wondering if she’s ugly, then what are you?

3.     You’re friends, family, and crushes will constantly tell you how pretty she is.

4.     You might think that a guy is trying to talk to you because he likes you and is flirting with you. But then he asks you how he can get your best friend to like him, and you slowly lose all of your dignity.

5.     You can’t take a picture with her because it’s just bound to make you feel terrible about your life.

6.     No one ever forgets her name, and you are always known as “so and so’s friend.”

7.     She looks better in your clothes than you do.

8.     All of your guy friends will constantly tell you how great she is even though you’re the one that holds their head and rubs their back when they are puking after a rough night out.

Now that we’ve listed all of the bad things about having a gorgeous best friend, remember there are a million more good things. Like she can introduce you to cute boys, and she always makes you laugh. Also, take a look in the mirror and remember that you’re beautiful too. 

Her Campus Writer, ice cream enthusiast and future wife of Harry Styles.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!