Skincare Routines You Need to Start

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The college lifestyle is definitely crazy to say the least, which often causes habits and routines that are beneficial to our health to be shortened or eliminated altogether. When you’re young, it seems like the problems of aging and skin quality are far off, but it is so much easier to protect what you have than attempt to get it back later. Here are some skincare products you should be using if you aren’t already.

1. Makeup remover: If you have any on, take all of your makeup off at the end of the day, always.

2. Cleanser: This removes the dirt, bacteria and oil that builds up on your skin. Cleansing helps prevent acne and gives skin a fresh look. This should be done both morning and night and after any other event where oil could have gathered on your face, such as a workout. Buy a cleanser according to your skin type.

3. Moisturizer: Even if you have oily skin, you have to moisturize every day. Hydration makes your skin look bright and healthy. You wouldn’t go a day without drinking water, and moisturizing is the equivalent for your skin.

4. Serum: This is a water-based treatment that should be more rich in ingredients such as Vitamins C, E and K. Serums are also available to target problems such as wrinkles, dark spots, fine lines and hyper pigmentation.

5. Eye cream: The eyes are a very sensitive area since it is the thinnest skin on the body. You can use eye cream both morning and night, but definitely at night at the least.
6. Sunscreen: Apply sunscreen with a minimum of 15 SPF. Educate yourself about the difference between UVA and UVB rays to find your specific coverage for your skin. UVA has the ability to travel through windows meaning that you do still need SPF while inside and yes, even during the winter season.

Start incorporating these into your daily routine with as much consistency as possible. Your skin will thank you later!

Born and raised in Wisconsin but a New York girl at heart. Kelsey is a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison majoring in Communication Arts and Theatre and Drama. She is a lover of fashion, iced coffee, and running. After school she plans to pursue a career in the fashion industry.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!