Sexual Health Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s a topic that remains just as awkward as it did in middle school: sex ed. It’s one thing to chat with your girlfriends over wine about your one night stand last weekend, but it’s another to talk about sexual health concerns—something that should be on the forefront of our minds as young, active collegiettes. Here are some tips to prevent unwanted situations from happening and getting through things you thought would never happen

1. ALWAYS use protection

I mean COMPLETE protection, not just birth control. When you’re a little tipsy and things are getting hot and heavy, it’s easy to decide against using a condom in the heat of the moment. While your birth control may protect you against an unwanted pregnancy, STDs are a very real thing. One drunken mistake could cause a lifetime problems not only for yourself personally, but for all of your relationships following. It’s not a pretty thought, but it’s a real possibility that should ALWAYS be considered.

2. Get tested

As a sexually active being, it’s recommended that you should get tested at least twice a year. It can be a less than ideal situation sitting in a waiting room and talking to a nurse about the personal details of your sex life, but it’s truly one of the smartest things you can do for your sexual health. UHS is on a college campus, which means very little judgment will pass from the health professionals since they help so many students get tested. You’ll be respect you more for taking responsibility for your sexual health and want to help you answer any questions you have.

3. Talk to a friend

Thinking you may be pregnant or have an STD is a terrifying feeling. You may be judging yourself and thinking all of your friends will do the same, but the last thing you should do is go through this alone. Having moral support to encourage you and be there to listen is essential for any stressful situation. Don’t be afraid to reach out to your friends about uncomfortable topics such as this; you never know if they’re going through the same thing, also looking for someone to talk to.

In this day and age, young adults typically have an active sex life. While there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s always important to take care of yourself and identify problems early on so you can prevent them from becoming bigger than you can handle.

Gina Perez

Wisconsin

Gina Perez is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison majoring in Journalism and Spanish.
Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com