Remember to TREAT YO SELF During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Finals are by far the most stressful time for a college student, but it does no good to drive yourself to insanity by cramming at the library for days straight. Remember: a healthy body and mind makes a good student, so study hard, but remember to take time to treat yourself for your hard work. Here are some suggestions we have!

#1: Attend a Yoga Class.

Yoga is one of the most calming and relaxing exercises you can do. Yoga challenges you to get in touch with your body in order to complete hard poses, but also allows you to get in touch with your mind through self-reflection and meditation. Understanding the importance of balance during finals, the SERF and the NAT offer free group fitness classes during finals, so be sure to take advantage of these! Taking an hour break from studying to allow your body to release tension could be the most beneficial action for your GPA.

#2: Study somewhere that suits you!

If the library stresses you out or you cannot stand the constant noise in the dining halls, try a new location! Just because the library is known to be the campus “study spot” doesn’t mean that all the A-students utilize it. If a coffee shop is your happy place, go there to crank out some homework. If you personally like the unions, grab a spot at one of them. You don’t have to study where your friends chose to study. Support your individuality and pick the spot that works best for you. Sometimes it’s a great idea to try someplace new during finals. I love checking out a café I haven’t been to before so I feel refreshed and enthusiastic even if I’m studying the same, mundane class material.

#3: Eat yummy and healthy foods.

A busy mind needs nutrients that will keep it awake and focused, but that doesn’t mean you should suffer! There are so many ways to eat well and enjoy it. Think ahead about where you’re going to study and if there’s food available to purchase there, or if you should pack some to bring along. The worst is when you’re studying strong and a growling stomach breaks your concentration. Some great brain food examples include an English muffin with peanut butter and cut-up bananas, carrots and pretzels dipped in hummus, yogurt covered blueberries, a parfait with fruit and granola, avocado toast, lightly salted popcorn, a protein-packed granola bar (like CLIF), or Nutella on graham crackers.

#4: Wash your sheets and shave your legs.

I know this sounds a little crazy, but there’s something so fantastic about the feeling of crawling into warm, clean sheets with freshly shaved legs. Washing your sheets takes about a total of 1 hour and you can study the entire time they are in the machines. Having a freshly made bed might help you feel like you’re starting on a clean slate for the upcoming week. This is a little thing that brings me happiness and always helps me sleep my absolute best, which is so important during finals. If this isn’t your style, think about what super simple thing makes you really happy, and do it!

#5: Take little moments to have holiday cheer.

Don’t let finals turn you into a Grinch! Instead, bring some holiday cheer to a typically stressful and dreaded week. Whether it’s planning a night to drink hot cocoa with your roomies and visit the Christmas tree at the Capitol, or taking time to listen to some Christmas music while you’re getting ready in the morning, keep reminding yourself of the joy that follows directly behind finals.

Find something that helps you destress and make sure to incorporate it into your week. Finals don’t have to be the most miserable time of the year; just find ways to channel your stress into healthy and positive actions that will improve your physical and mental states!

UW-Madison • Journalism: Double-tracking Reporting and Strategic Communications with a Certificate in Digital Studies  
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!