sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Reasons Nick Viall’s Contestants Deserve Better After This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The Bachelor and The Bachelorette always involve some sort of heartbreak, for not only the contestants but also the audience. It’s hard not to get attached or be sympathetic to contestants who get sent home after opening up— or don’t get a fair shot at finding love. This season, Nick has the ultimate heartbreaker, and here’s how:

Danielle Lombard

From the beginning, it seemed like Danielle L. would make it to the top this season. After winning the Backstreet Boys challenge and one-on-one dancing on stage with Nick and having a one-on-one in his hometown, Nick really surprised us all by sending her home. The most unfair part of Lombard being sent home is perhaps the fact that he gave her and all of his viewers the impression that her two-on-one date worked in her favor when he sent Whitney home that day. It’s hard not to feel bad for her after she got sent home after professing her deep feelings for Nick— she even started crying to the other girls. If you didn’t know what you were doing, why’d you send her home? Come on now, Nick!

Kristina Schulman

Kristina’s departure was heartbreaking to watch, especially following her deeply personal one-on-one, where she opened up to Nick about her extremely difficult childhood. Nick definitely did not handle this one well. He ended up surprising not only the viewers, but also the contestants by randomly showing up to the house and sending her home. It was a pretty dramatic way to end it, if you ask me. Her tears were very believable— Nick’s tears… not so much.

Corinne Olympios

Oh, Corrine! She was honestly one of the best things that happened this season. It’s hard to say she wasn’t one of the most entertaining parts of the show— even if you hated her. Her relationship with Nick perhaps demonstrated the reasons Nick messed up his chances with other contestants early on. It was his choice to follow her flirtatious and promiscuous games, especially in front of all the other girls. But for some reason, she was the one to blame every time. Let’s not forget the fact that she also bought Nick a $3000 outfit for their hometown dates—I bet she’s regretting that right about now. All well though, Corinne needs a man who can sustain her needs both emotionally and financially, and Nick didn’t exactly make the cut.

Jasmine Brown

Yes, Jasmine did threaten to strangle Nick and punch him in the face. But he kind of instigated it. Before he sent her home, she couldn’t stop talking about the lack of attention Nick was paying her, which turned out to be true. Nick made it clear which contestants he found more fulfilling, and he never even allowed Jasmine to compete with them. Why did he string her that far along just to make her look crazy on public television? Who knows, but she definitely deserved better than that.

Danielle Maltby

Danielle M. was the epitome of someone who genuinely hoped to find love on this show. Sadly, it wasn’t her turn this time around. It also didn’t help at all that she had one of the saddest backstories on the season. Her final episode one-on-one date was honestly too awkward to watch. It was bad enough how painfully obvious the emotional connection didn’t reciprocate during whole date, but she had to hear it directly from Nick after she professed her deep feelings for him. Nick should have sent her home the second he thought it wasn’t going to work. He could have spared her some heartbreak—and the rest of us too. You are “great enough,” Danielle. Nick didn’t deserve you anyways!

Rachel Lindsay

For starters, thank goodness Rachel is the next Bachelorette; she deserves to find a husband, especially one that isn’t considering two other girls at the same time. But that’s besides the point. From the very first episode, it was clear that Rachel and Nick had a chemistry, and her first impression rose definitely proved it. Throughout the season, she came off as a strong, intelligent, and independent woman. Therefore, it was heartbreaking for us all when she fell in love with Nick but didn’t end up making it to the final two, especially after she confessed how afraid of rejection she was. It also doesn’t make sense that he told her he was falling for her, took her to the fantasy suites, and sent her home in the same episode. Poor Rachel, let’s hope her next season runs more smoothly.

Nick obviously can’t choose every contestant to be his wife, nor can he please everyone. Yet, he definitely could have handled situations better this season. I think many people can agree this season is a little disappointing for many reasons, but if there’s anything to be taken from it, the contestants definitely deserve to find someone better after falling for him. 

I am a freshman at UW-Madison seeking majors in Communication Arts and Strategic Communications!
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!