An Open Letter to the Boys that Hurt my Best Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Here’s to the boys that come into my fantastic friends lives, open their hearts, call them baby, convince them to trust them, and then rip them apart. And as the best friend, I feel obligated to let you know that you are the absolute worst. I see her for everything she is: beautiful, smart, funny, and way beyond anything you ever deserved. How dare you break her down and make her feel worthless? She was a blessing to you. Now while you call her crazy, ignore her texts, and blatantly post pictures with new girls, I have to watch as she cries on my shoulder every night. I just wish I could somehow be the fix for the hurt you’ve caused.

You’re the one who made her smile. You’re the one who told her you’d always be there for her. It’s your fault she fell head over heels for you, so how dare you shrug her off like you could not care less. Her heart is broken because of you… how do you get satisfaction from that?She’s the one in love with you, so she can’t be mad at you. But no worries, I’m mad enough for the both of us. When you come back to her in a few months on a night when you’re feeling lonely, she’ll want to trust you. She is kind and forgiving and wants to believe you’re the person she longs for you to be. But I promise, as her best friend, I won’t trust you again, you ducked out for the hard part – I was here for it. In the meantime, you bet we’ll spend every night jamming to Beyoncé and practicing our “boy bye.”

You took a perfectly happy, confident, independent girl and made her rely on your empty promises and lies. Someday you’ll look back and wish you wouldn’t have taken such an incredible girl for granted. We both saw the beautiful person she is, but unlike you, when I tell her I’ll always be there for her– I mean it.

UW-Madison • Journalism: Double-tracking Reporting and Strategic Communications with a Certificate in Digital Studies  
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!