An Open Letter to Anxiety During Finals Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Dear anxiety,

First off, I don’t appreciate your timing because finals season is here, and I’m already stressed out as it is. I’ve dealt with your evil selfishness before, but this is the absolute worst time to come back and pester me.

If you weren’t here, I would be getting so much more sleep — i might even be living a stress-free life. Not having to wake up every two hours terrified by the idea of missing my alarm would be nice. You just like to torture me, don’t you?

Even though I studied for these exams weeks in advance, you still manage to creep up on me and make me second-guess all the preparation that I put in. All the time and effort I’ve put in to feel confident in my knowledge goes away in an instant the second you arrive.

Remember that one time you made me stay up until three in the morning debating if college is even worth it? Well, I didn’t give up regardless of how persistent you were. You told me to stop trying and to cave into your pressure.

Thank you though, anxiety, for making me stronger and smarter. You’ve taught me how to control my emotions and fears, as well as manage my time. Never again will I put off that eight-page midterm paper until the day before it’s due.

I’ll carry the lessons I’ve have learned from you with me throughout the rest of my college career, and they’ll help me with the remainder of my current and future exams. Although you frustrate and annoy me to no end, you’ve made me a more responsible student. Because of you, I will never forget to check the deadlines for my100-point projects.

Bottom line is, even though you drive me crazy at times — especially when I have four exams and papers due in the same week — you never cease to amaze me. You always remind me to be a better student and person. Still, you’re awful at choosing the ways in which you do so.

So anxiety, you’re not actually so bad; just try to come up with a different strategy to get me to get my work done when we meet again next semester.

Sincerely,

A sleep-deprived college student