No I’m Not a Freshman, But I Just Had My First Spring Roll

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Confession: I’m a junior at UW-Madison and I’ve never had a spring roll. Well, before today I hadn’t. Since my freshman year it’s been evident that (a) Tsui’s is the biggest celeb on campus and (b) her spring roll cart is what most people depend on for life. But that never convinced me to sit in the half hour line for vegetables wrapped in what looks like plastic. I’m also not a fan of spice, which is basically the only thing that gives a spring roll flavor. Therefore, I was not a spring roll fan – until today.

I don’t know why today was the day. Maybe it was a “you only live once” moment, or I just felt like standing in the spring roll line with all of the cool kids. Regardless, it was time and it happened like this.

First, I informed all of my friends that today would be the day that I would get my first spring roll. It is a big deal. This was followed up with the question, “what the hell do I get in it?” Tofu and avocado…chicken and avocado…just avocado? The possibilities are (sorta, kinda) endless.

Second was figuring out who would come with me, because I would not be a lonely newbie in that line. If Tsui doesn’t already know you and your order, you’re basically an irrelevant being that nobody wants in THE spring roll line. 

After my roommate agreed to come with me, it was all about coordinating a time. What is prime spring roll time? Do we want to be there then, when there will be such a long line? But if there is no line, is it even that exciting anymore? A lot of thought went into it, but let me tell you – noon is definitely prime time.

Worst decision: waiting for said roommate. Especially when her “OMG I’m hurrying,” text actually means, “I’m taking my time. Be there in 15.” The line gets longer, the customers get more impatient, and nobody has time to deal with someone cutting in line to meet up with you.

And then, it was time. Finally making it up to the front of Tsui’s line was basically like being the next in line to meet your favorite celebrity. Remember, Tsui = celebrity. I ordered my spring roll – with chicken, avocado and sweet sauce of course – maybe had a mini photo shoot (#springrollforlikes), and then went home to sit down and enjoy.

Photographs and videos ensued as I took my first bite, and I must admit those spring rolls are pretty damn good. The spicy sauce made my vision go a little blurry at first, and the rice paper definitely took some getting used to, but it was overall yummy, filling, and yes, only $3. I may not be a daily customer at Tsui’s spring roll cart, because hey, I gotta keep up my “I’m too cool for spring rolls” rep. But for the time I have left here at UW, I think I’ll definitely be back.

Hi everybody! I'm Kerry, a freshman at UW-Madison majoring in Journalism with a Digital Studies certificate. I am passionate about writing about all things beauty, love, and many other fascinating facets of life. I'd love for you to join me as I write about my journey through college!
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!