Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Wisconsin Features

7 Study Abroad Packing Essentials

By Ilana Fromm
December 26, 2013 - 5:12pm

For many juniors, there is a light at the end of the finals tunnel and it’s not winter break, but a semester abroad; an entire semester full of site seeing, partying, shopping, and eating your way through some incredible country half way across the world. If you’re looking towards second semester in Europe as you struggle through finals, there’s no better way to procrastinate than by packing. Packing for abroad becomes a skill. Weekend after weekend you’ll struggle with trying to squeeze as many things as possible into your carry-on without going over the weight limit of your budget airline of choice. Here’s a list of a few essential things you need to pack for a semester abroad: ‘Euro’ Jacket...

13 Twenty-Thirteen Moments

By Maddie Eckle
December 24, 2013 - 2:25pm

Looking back on 2013, I am very proud to share what I learned with you all: Miley taught me how to twerk, Beyoncé showed me how to shock a universe, the Biebs adequately demonstrated how to say absolutely everything wrong, oh and I went to college. It may be sad, but the reality is, we’re more excited about what’s happening outside our lives than the exciting things happening within them. So why change that now! Here’s a list of exciting things that didn’t occur within our own lives.  READ MORE

Procrastination Station: 8 Videos and Links You Need to Check Out Now

By Becca Bahrke
December 17, 2013 - 1:29pm

It's finals week here at UW, and whether you're already done or not even close, here's a list of the best videos, apps, and lists you should be checking out now to distract you from your studies.  1). Watch this ridiculous video that will keep you laughing, but left slightly confused at what you just watched: 2) Enjoy this buzzfeed video on "Things You Do Online That'd be Creepy in Real Life" 3) Wish your family was this cool.... READ MORE

Find Your Balance: Live Lokai

By Sarah Panzenhagen
December 12, 2013 - 12:48pm

Hey Badgers, looking for the perfect stocking stuffer, Hanukkah or Christmas gift?  Look no further! Meet the lokai bracelet.  Not only is it a fashion statement for men or women coming in three different sizes (small, medium and large) and an affordable price perfect for us college students ($20 with 10% of proceeds used to give back to the community… awesome, right?!), but also portrays an amazing concept: “Find Your Balance.” READ MORE

A Feminist’s Perspective on the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show

By Olivia Koivisto
December 11, 2013 - 5:37pm

Last night, the annual Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show aired and hundreds of thousands of college women tuned in, myself included. My friends would call me a feminist, and I can’t say I could disagree.  I cringe at the E! Network, Hardy’s ads with half naked women, and when newsrooms discuss Hilary Clinton’s wardrobe choice, instead of her diplomatic work.  On the other hand, I’m not burning my bra in the streets of Madison. READ MORE

Redefined’s Fall Acapella Show

By Ava Paradise
December 11, 2013 - 11:02am

This past Friday night, December 6th, I had the pleasure of attending the Premier co-ed acapella group Redefined’s fall show! I am a huge fan of acapella, so whether it is fall or spring, when concerts roll around I am usually the first to get a ticket! READ MORE

UW Women's Volleyball Recap

By Livi Pitzo
December 9, 2013 - 2:02pm

After defeating Milwaukee and California in the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament, the Wisconsin volleyball team advances to the Sweet Sixteen for the first time since 2006. The team will face off against Florida State Friday December 13th at 4 p.m. “It’s cool. I don’t know if there’s a better way of saying it,” head coach Kelly Sheffield said. “We’re going to go there, we’re going to give it our best shot.” READ MORE

Holiday Movie Schedule

By Livi Pitzo
December 6, 2013 - 1:08pm

With the semester drawing to an end, that means the holidays (and a month off of school) are right around the corner! In anticipation for the coming holidays and the desperate attempts to avoid studying for finals, many of us are throwing ourselves into the holiday spirit. And what better way to procrastinate while getting into the merriment than watching your favorite Christmas classics.   A Christmas Story: Dec. 24th:  7, 9, 11 p.m. (TBS) Dec. 25th: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 a.m., 1, 3, 5 p.m. (TBS)   National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation: Dec. 11th: 8 p.m. (ABC Family) Dec. 12th: 6 p.m. (ABC Family) Dec. 15th: 7 p.m. (ABC Family) READ MORE

8 Ways to Survive Holiday Drama

By Claire Lenard
December 3, 2013 - 11:22am

“The Holidays” refers to both Thanksgiving and Christmas, a time when everyone is supposed to be merry and bright, thankful for everything they have, always in a giving mood, and just be super darn jolly. Unfortunately, the holidays are usually very stressful because it’s one of the few times the entire family gets together, which is usually a recipe for disaster.  If your family is anything like mine, something that shouldn’t be an issue usually results in a yelling match and ultimately someone leaving the holiday celebration. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I love my family, even when they’re making the holidays less than enjoyable. Here are some things to keep in mind if your family is anything like mine around the holidays:...

5 People to Avoid This Thanksgiving

By Ilana Fromm
November 26, 2013 - 11:56am

As a homebody, I absolutely love going home for Thanksgiving. Don’t get me wrong, there’s no place on earth quite like Madison, but I always look forward to home-cooked meals, having my mom do my laundry, and catching up with my best friends at our favorite coffee shop. Returning to your old stopping grounds is usually exciting, as there really is no place like home. But, if home is a place where everybody knows everything about everyone, Thanksgiving can have its drawbacks. No matter how much we love home, there are always people we dread seeing and run the other way when we spot them. Check out the top five people you need to avoid this Thanksgiving break:   The Fake Friend READ MORE