Labels We Hate to Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

In college, especially at University of Wisconsin-Madison, clothing labels and brands seem to be worn rather excessively. But when it comes down to it, what would you do without them? I can see how that comes off as being a “brand whore” but do people buy these brands just because of the name, or do they really fulfill the extent of their high prices?

1.     The North Face

From parkas to backpacks to fleeces and more, North Face anything seems like it will never go out of style. And did I say parkas? I’d say on average a college girl goes through two jackets every winter because one gets stolen somewhere due to everyone having the same black Miss Metro Parka. In reality, no matter how many times you lose it, you know that you’re going to keep replacing it no matter the price because you love it so much and it actually does keep you warm… despite what others may say about the overpriced brand.

2.     Converse

Converse seems to be one of the top shoe brands worn around campus these days. Even some people have a separate pair just for game days, considering how ruined they get. So much for converse being the “skater” look back in middle school; now I would feel lost without them. From class, to work, to going out, it’s amazing how one shoe can be so versatile.

3.     UGG Australia

Uggs. Who would have thought you would still be wearing these boots several years out of middle school? They are not the cutest looking boots around (I mean come on, they are like one, big, bulky, sheep on your feet), but when you go to a school where the term “polar vortex” is as common as it is in Wisconsin, these boots are a must to stay remotely warm in these below zero temperatures. So far, these boots will keep coming back due to the warmth not the looks.

4.     Lululemon Athletica

Where do I even begin? First, what a genius Chip Wilson, the founder of Lululemon, is for creating a yoga pant that nearly changed the world for women (and teenage boys). When I mean “yoga” pant, I mean yes you can wear them for yoga and working out, but everything else as well. Second, the only people I know that complain about the price of these leggings are the people that don’t have a pair. They may be quite expensive, but you will have the same pair for five years. I think that’s better than buying a cheaper pair every year, right? Third, I can’t remember the last time I wore a pair of jeans.  The Washington Post reported in September of 2014 that, “yoga pants are the new jeans.” These days, the college “look” is Lululemon leggings, a sweater, and boots. Whether it is going to class or going out, it is extremely versatile. So finish this article, and then go buy a pair of Lululemon leggings. It is worth it.

I believe it is the longevity all of these brands have, that keep the consumers coming back for more. I still have one of my several pairs of UGGS from middle school, which actually became more comfortable as the years went on. I have the same North Face backpack from freshman year of high school, and the same pair of Converse for every game day (because why destroy another pair?) As much as my mother thinks that I wear these brands because they are “trendy,” finally maybe after all these years she, and many other parents, will realize that it is worth it to spend the extra bucks for the sustainability. Even though it seems so “basic” and “white girl” to wear these brands, they are all practical and truly unavoidable if you are anything like me and trying to live up to the new term “athleisure.” So, put on some leggings, Converse, a parka, add in your own style, and you’re good to go from eight am class to FAC and the rest of the night. 

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com