kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Survive Without Your Friends: Summer ’16 Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

For the first time, I’m confronted by the daunting truth that none of my friends will be returning to our hometown this summer. If you are in the same spot as me, here are some tips to help you survive the summer without your best friends.

Focus on your internship/job

Summer isn’t just about relaxing and catching up with old friends; it’s also a great time to boost your resume through an internship or job. If you will be without your crew this summer, spend more time focusing on standing out in the workplace in order to get the most out of the summer professionally.

Spend more time with your family

Many of your past summers may have revolved around your social schedule, when everyone’s going to the beach or getting together for a bonfire. This summer, focus on your family. Sometimes we may forget that we spend about eight months of the year away from our family. So this summer, take the opportunity to make up for the lost time and put in the effort to spend time with the ones who know you best.

Branch out with new people

There’s no reason you can’t branch out and reconnect with old friends or make new ones this summer. Instead of spending all of the summer cooped up on your own, step out and socialize with a new crowd.

Try new things

There are so many things we think of doing during the school but never get around to. Now, you will have at least three months to get through everything you’ve thought to do! This summer, actually take the time to read that book you’ve been thinking about, or to try a new restaurant. Want to run that half marathon? No excuses.

Get some much needed you time

With another school year in the books, sometimes all you need is a little time to decompress after all your papers are turned in and your finals are done. Take some extra time this summer to truly relax after a long semester of hard work.

Keep in touch with your friends, despite the distanceEven though you might not be all together in the same town, or even on the same coast, stay connected with your friends this summer. There is no reason to grow apart, even if you’re separated by hundred of miles. Keep your friends updated on your life and take interest in what they’re doing, too. If the girls in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants can stay connected despite living on different continents, so can you.

Sometimes home just doesn’t feel like home without your best friends, but it’s important to make the most of the summer despite a lack of company.  

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!