How to Stay Motivated at the End of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

“Who wants to skip class today and lie by the lake!?”— a group message on my phone reads.  Within a matter of seconds, responses such as “I DO!!!” and “Obviously!” started flooding in. As amazing as it would be to join my friends in marveling at the campus’s utter beauty, the idea just doesn’t seem too practical. With less than a month of school left, it is important to remain focused and to continue pushing forward. Here are the top six ways to stay motived during the home stretch:

1.     Pay attention in Class

Sometimes, just being present isn’t enough. If you attend lectures and find yourself falling asleep or playing with your phone, you will undoubtedly fall off track. Contributing to class discussion will keep you engaged and up-to-date on your latest assignments.

2.     Make a Schedule

I’ve learned it the hard way—studying for an exam the night before does not get you an A. Instead of cramming, strategically plan out when you’ll get your work done. It’s extremely alleviating to draw a thick line through completed tasks on your to-do-list.

3.     Unplug

While these days we may seem to be attached to our phones, sometimes it’s important to keep our distance. Instead of distracting yourself via Snapchat and Instagram, remain focused on completing your work so you can jump-start your summer vacation.

4.     Change up your learning habits

Typing and reading the same notes over and over again may become extremely mundane. Instead of participating in the same study routines, try to switch it up and study in groups or different locations. This will keep you interested and add an element of diversity.

5.     Make a Summer Bucket-List

By looking ahead and planning events for the summer, you will be further inclined to push forward and to finish you work. Knowing that you will be swimming in the pool, playing in the sand, and eating popsicles soon is definitely enough motivation to get the job done!

6.     Treat yourself

Locking yourself in your room and solely studying for hours is NOT healthy. After successfully mastering a specific task, go for a bike ride around campus or out for dinner with your friends. Remember: there is more to life than good grades, but always try your hardest!

It can be tough to remain focused when the sun is shining and the temperature is rising. Be sure not to give up now, you’re so close! Good luck Badgers!

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!