This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Turkey, pumpkin spice and everything nice… Yes, you guessed it. Thanksgiving is finally here. Not only is the holiday an amazing opportunity to hang out and catch up with family and friends, it also includes everyone’s favorite universal activity, eating.

After all, there is nothing more exciting than expressing your gratitude by shoving your face with excessive amounts of potatoes, turkey, roasted vegetables and pie. While Thanksgiving is at times overwhelming, (I mean really the amount of food at my dining room table could feed a village) when you approach it with the right mindset, you are golden (AKA mentally prepared to feast).

This holiday season, grab your expandable pants and get ready for the “work out” of a lifetime.

1. Wake up, EAT. I’m not kidding, the holiday is a marathon not a sprint. You need to fuel your body and get it prepared for all the other food that will be provided during the day. My go to—eating a cinnamon roll (or three) and watching the Macy’s Day Parade.

2. Help whoever’s cooking in the kitchen and by help, I mean sample.

Mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie and any other delicacy that may or may not have the right amount of butter, sugar, or salt are always up for grabs. Give the cook reassurance and snack in the process.

3. Pick out the perfect ensemble: aka leggings or stretchy jeans and an oversized sweater. What better way to hide your inevitable food baby than an oversized sweater? Plus, you will look super trendy at the table which is an added bonus.

4. Appetizer time, a little crudité never hurt anybody. Do not skimp out on the baked Brie and other dips offered. Remember, you are padding your stomach and working up your appetite for the big event.

5. Dinner is here, grab a plate and get cracking. Make sure to load up with every type of meat (white and dark), potato (Yukon or sweet), stuffing, and vegetable available. How will you know what your favorite item is if you don’t sample everything?

6. Go grab seconds of your favorite foods—make sure you have a solid potato to meat ratio.

7. Grab thirds if you are feeling ambitious.

8. Dessert time, enough said. Pumpkin, chocolate, or even fruity if you feel like being healthy, you can have whatever you like.

9. Next day: leftovers like a boss. Make turkey sandwiches to your hearts content. 

So lets all give a collective thanks to the Thanksgiving MVPs, the cooks!!! Honorary shout outs to the pilgrims, family, friends and the star of the day—food.