How to Celebrate the Perfect Holiday Season This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I’m what some refer to as a ‘Christmas fanatic.’ You know, the person who starts singing Christmas songs by September. Whether you’re obsessed or not, you can get in the holiday spirit now with these ideas.

1. Turn on the Christmas music

Thank goodness for Spotify and Pandora having Christmas playlists made for us. It’s time to check them out! You can never go wrong with Mariah Carey, Michael Buble, Justin Bieber, or Pentatonix’s Christmas album.

1. Watch holiday movies

There are so many classic Christmas movies that are a must watch this season! Go for the classics like Elf, The Polar Express, Home Alone, The Christmas Story, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Plus, check out ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas. Don’t forget to put on your coziest pajamas and bring out the hot chocolate.

1. Decorate your room or apartment

Steal some Christmas decorations from your parent’s house to make your dorm or apartment look festive. Bring out the mini snowmen, Christmas trees, and some bright-colored lights!

1. Go ice skating

Head to the Shell this season to go ice skating with some of your friends or your significant other. Even if you’re not a pro skater, you’ll have a blast skating and getting in the holiday mood. To make it even better, the Shell will be having open skate on December 17 from 7-8:30 p.m. featuring some of your favorite holiday tunes!

1. Invest in a Christmas sweater

Visit a local thrift shop to get an ugly Christmas sweater. You know you won’t regret it!

1. Volunteer

To remember the true meaning of Christmas and the holidays, it’s important to volunteer this season, whether it’s ringing bells for The Salvation Army, visiting a nursing home, or helping out at a food pantry. There are many different places looking for help this time of the year, so go out there and make a difference.

1. Bake

Make some of your favorite desserts this season. Ask your mom for your favorite cookie recipe and impress all your friends with your mad baking skills. If you’re feeling creative, try having a gingerbread house decorating contest!

1. Shopping

This one is self-explanatory. Check out all the holiday sales and buy some presents for your loved ones.

1. Secret Santa

Grab your closest friends and do a Secret Santa gift exchange. It’s a fun way to make sure everyone gets included in the holiday festivities, plus your wallet will appreciate you only having to buy one present instead of 20.

1. Tell holiday jokes

I couldn’t resist this one because Christmas jokes are the best. Why does Santa go down the chimney on Christmas Eve? Because it ‘soots’ him!

1. Follow your crush around campus with mistletoe

It’s the season for love, so find your sweetheart this season and make a move. *may or may not be kidding, but hey, give it a try and let me know if it works!*

1. Spread good cheer

Spread holiday cheer to all your friends and family this year. Tell them how much you love and appreciate them. Next time you’re in line at Starbucks, pay for the person behind you. Bake some cookies for someone in your life who goes underappreciated. When you’re going out to eat over the holidays, thank your waiter for working and make sure to leave a good tip. Thank the custodian cleaning up your building. Smile at strangers when walking down the street. These little things can make someone’s day just a little bit brighter.

Go out there and have a great holiday season this year. Have a blast with your friends and family, but most of all don’t forget the true meaning of the holidays.

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!