How to Celebrate Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s a common misconception that if you’re celebrating Valentine’s Day alone you need to be tucked up in your room with a pint of Ben & Jerry’s. The stigma that the only girls who are alone on Cupid’s favorite holiday are those who are single, or didn’t get asked out, is outdated. What if I don’t want to have a boy feeding me chocolate covered strawberries on a bed of roses?

If you aren’t celebrating with Prince Charming this V-Day, make sure you’re celebrating with your gal pals! Here are my tips on how to have the most rockin’ Galentine’s day ever:

1. Wine It OutI’m putting this first because it’s a staple to your perfect Galentine’s Day. I’d recommend each bringing a bottle because you don’t want your night to be Sauvignon Blah. Popping those bottles is a sure way to make your night memorable (but don’t go too hard, or you’ll forget that it happened).

2. Get Decked Out

You don’t need a boy for a night out with your besties! Wear that little black dress and go out to a nice dinner with your squad.

3. Treat Yo Self

Put on your robe and fuzzy slippers and indulge in a spa night. Nothing spurs confidence like a fresh mani/pedi. Stock up on your Lush bath bombs, light some candles, and let the stress of the new semester melt away.

4. Write Love Letters (to your besties)

We love our friends for the many fabulous qualities they possess, so why not take the time to write some sweet little things about them! After all, we have enough lines of The Notebook memorized to let our inner romantic shine. Get that pen moving, and brighten your bestie’s day! 

5. Swim In Chocolate

Your Galentine’s Day wouldn’t be complete without lots and lots of chocolate. So make sure to go to the store and stock up, because if there’s any day to indulge, it’s Valentine’s Day. After all, chocolate’s better than sex.

6. Decorate Cookies

Let your inner Martha Stewart shine by decorating some baked goodies. We’re not counting calories tonight, so you might as well keep the sugar fix going (and the wine flowing). Why not let out your inner Picasso while pleasing your taste buds in the process?

7. Netflix & ChillNetflix and chill with your girl gang (when you can actually pay attention and not have the distraction of a boy). Watch a sappy rom-com or binge watch your latest series–the possibilities are endless!

8. Pajama PartyOf course, the night wouldn’t be complete without a sleepover! When was the last time you got to cuddle up next to your best friends for a good night’s rest? After all, you have the rest of your life to be sleeping next to your man, so you might as well bask in the feminine spirit (or simply lack of snoring and gross boy things)!

This Valentine’s day is #FTG (for the girls).

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!