samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Hot Cocoa Conference: Four Madison Women Share Professional, Life Advice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

A group of UW students had the chance to listen to four powerful Madison women exchange encouraging words on Dec. 2 at Hot Cocoa Conference, hosted by Her Campus Wisconsin. The panel included the Sarah Bothum, president and founder of WiscoBoxes; Sarah Flugum, shelter advocate coordinator at Domestic Abuse Intervention Services (DAIS); Jeanan Yasiri Moe, director of strategic communications at Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (WARF); and Mary Burke, CEO and founder of Building Brave.

Bothum, Flugum, Yasiri Moe and Burke (from left to right) exchanging ideas.

These women shared their professional experiences, their trials and triumphs amid finding passion and career advice for young women. They also shared some advice they wish they could’ve given to their college-self. What they had to say are things we all need to hear.

Advice for finding passion

We first asked the four women to talk a little bit more about their background; what started as a simple yielded some of the most powerful statements. They talked about finding what “fills you up” and chasing it fearlessly. Each panelist had a very different background and journey to get to where they are, yet their rhetorics about finding passion were similar…

• “Every time someone tells me ‘you can’t’, I say ‘I will,” Bothum said
  • “I found the movement (mission) I wanted to be a part of,” Flugum responded.
  • “I found what filled me up the most— positively impacting lives,” Yasiri Moe replied.
  • “I could do anything as long as I worked really hard at it,” Burke said.

There’s no guidebook to detail how you should your life, but one thing is for certain: there’s nothing that should stand in your way of realizing the life you want to live!

Advice for job search

Many of the young women in the room are currently in the market for an internship, and some are even preparing to enter the workforce. Each of these women has been a part of the hiring process, and they gave us some great tips for ways to stand out as an applicant and as an interviewee:

• Work on building a personal brand. Figure out what your personal brand is, define it and represent it well.
  • Have practical work experiences out of clubs and sororities. Find your personal niche — offer something unique that sets you apart.
  • Be well-versed in your gifts and talents, but also know the company and what they do. Find the best way to meld together your skills and what the company is looking for.
  • Be eager to learn from others and be willing to learn about yourself in a different way.
  • You don’t need to “check all of the boxes” when it comes to applying for a job. Take the chance and go after it!

All the panelist agreed that women are socialized to “tone down” or undersell ourselves to make ourselves appear more favorable — but that’s not necessary. You have to be able to promote the things that make you unique to get what you want.

Advice for women in workplace

I found the conversation about “women in the workplace” to be the most powerful. “I have never thought of myself as a woman in the workforce,” Yasari Moe said; her fellow panelists immediately jumped in to agree on that statement, although they all acknowledged that biases do exist in the workplace. They do not feel like victimized as a woman, nonetheless…

• You have to take care of yourself and GET THE JOB DONE!
  • You have to be able to say “that’s not alright” and stand up for yourself when you have something important to say!

Advice for college-self

As college students, we all had so much to take away from what each woman had to say.

• “Travel more— get to know more people and more cultures. Push yourself a bit further; don’t be afraid to be uncomfortable. Sit next to someone you don’t know more often. Remember that what you have to say matters. Sometimes being the loudest isn’t the most powerful. And listen to your inner voice,” Bothum said.
  • “Trust yourself. Believe in what you are capable of. Don’t miss out because you are unsure or doubtful, GO FOR IT!” Flugum said.
  • “Trust your gut. You know when things are right or when things “smell wrong.” Don’t be afraid to pursue things differently or faster– be fearless. Get rid of the people that tell you that you’re less than what you are,” Yasiri Moe said.
  • “You never know where things might be; don’t be afraid of uncertainty. Get out there. Don’t be afraid to fail. Don’t have it all mapped out (let life happen),” Burke said.

The day was filled with empowerment — and sweet treats. Thank you to our panelists and to every student who helped Her Campus Wisconsin donate $300 to DAIS by attending the event!

I leave you all with my favorite quote of the day: “Confidence is not ‘I’m the greatest’, confidence is realizing ‘I’m not perfect’ and not letting that define you or hold you back.” Go out there and do great things, ladies!

Skylar Witte is a junior at the University of Wisconsin - Madison studying Communication Arts. In her free time she enjoys binge watching "Friends" and eating Halo Top Ice Cream. She is a self-proclaimed social media #fanatic. If you see her odds are she will have her computer in one hand and coffee in the other.